73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Body, Glass & Paint

How to fix the 1978 rear vent window seal

(1/2) > >>

ChrisD:
Hi,
I try to replace the vent window seals of my 1978 c10.
I bought the seals and the vent window repair kit.

But I have no idea how to expand the rivets. I've watched quite a few videos, but either they have the newer windows where the gasket has pins to hold it in place, or they don't show how to rivet the gasket.
The metal rod that comes with the repair kit is way too big to fit into the small pre-punched hole in the gasket, not to mention that I don't know how to put the window on top of it and hit it with a hammer without totally destroying the frame.
Is there a special pliers I can buy for this or what can I do?

Does anyone know a video where I can see exactly the step of riveting?

Thanks and greetings
Chris

JohnnyPopper:
Yeah no, put the hammer down Chris!  ;)

First, did the kit come with instructions?

Second, if not, they make pop rivet guns that use rivets of various sized.

I took my vent window down to the core, saved the rivets so I could match (as closely as I can) and re-install.

They probably assume you have a press of some type.

Rapid Roy:
I used a pop rivet gun with 1/8" rivets to secure the seal.

ChrisD:
Hi, thank you for your replies  :)
First, the kit came from l*c truck (replace the * with „m“ ;)), they don't have it so with descriptions.
The pop rivet gun will be my second option, at the moment I'm thinking of converting a C shape grip pliers to crimp the rivets. We will see.

Thanks and greetings
Chris

1980K20:
What was your experience with getting the channel seal into the triangle section?  I've been wrestling with that corner for an hour, not much success. I watched some YouTube videos, very helpful, but when they say the corner can be frustrating... They mean it.  I liked milkcrate82.  I got one seal in. Using a paint stir stick in the channel with some external pressure seemed like the key for me to keep the sides from popping out in the corner.

I got some tools and rivets, will see how they work today if I can get to it. Youtube shows roughly how to do it,if course their tool fits, I haven't tried mine yet. If they don't work, time for a pop rivet gun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version