Author Topic: Another gas gauge/ speedo question.  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Jimartina

Another gas gauge/ speedo question.
« on: April 15, 2022, 09:43:41 AM »
1977 c10 Scottsdale 350, 4brl, th350 automatic.
Gauge pegs at over full
Ok with that said. I have replaced the sending unit. Tested the gauge and the wiring. Everything seems ok. I get 12.7 volts on the left side connector behind the fuel gauge. Like 6is volts on the right side connector and 0 volts on the bottom. From my research it seems that the sending unit is giving me reading but the gauge pegs over full every time I turn the key on. I've tested the fuse link on the back of the fauge and it tested good.
Most of my other gauges work, dash lights and all signals work, as well as dimmer switch.

Speedo was working at highway speed and suddenly stopped. Used drill to turn speedo and it moves like it should. Bullet and gear appear to be ok. I can see the gear inside the output tail on trans and it appears ok, (can't really tell for sure)  before I take the tail piece and drive shafts off do I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Offline Big Dee

Re: Another gas gauge/ speedo question.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 10:56:38 AM »
 :)
Is the gas tank full ? that would make the gauge read full.

Have you serviced the cable. a drop of oil can cure a gallon of problems.
 :D
85C30...

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 11:16:06 AM »
The fuel gauge probably has an open somewhere in the sender circuit.  With the ignition switched on, jump the fuel gauge sender pin directly to ground.  The gauge should rapidly drop to Empty.  Check the PCB-to-gauge connections and the I/P cluster harness-to-PCB connections.  Burnish the copper foil and terminals at the points of electrical contact using a soft rubber eraser, if necessary.  But be careful not to peel the foil away from the plastic substrate; it's an easy mistake to make.

Now is a great time to lube the speedometer cable!  Make sure the cable is fully seated onto the back of the speedometer head.  When you stated that you "used a drill to turn the speedo and it moves like it should," was that with the drill motor attached at the transmission end of the cable?  It is very rare for the speedometer drive gear to fail without causing visible wear of the driven gear.  However, the drive gear may have shifted axially on the output shaft of the transmission if its retaining clip failed or was not properly installed during prior assembly.  Peruse the article, "Common causes of 'bouncy' speedometer needles" for additional insight.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Jimartina

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 11:31:03 AM »
:)
Is the gas tank full ? that would make the gauge read full.

Have you serviced the cable. a drop of oil can cure a gallon of problems.
 :D

3/4 full, but good question.  Cable seems to move freely. 

Offline Jimartina

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 08:54:49 AM »
The fuel gauge probably has an open somewhere in the sender circuit.  With the ignition switched on, jump the fuel gauge sender pin directly to ground.  The gauge should rapidly drop to Empty.  Check the PCB-to-gauge connections and the I/P cluster harness-to-PCB connections.  Burnish the copper foil and terminals at the points of electrical contact using a soft rubber eraser, if necessary.  But be careful not to peel the foil away from the plastic substrate; it's an easy mistake to make.

Now is a great time to lube the speedometer cable!  Make sure the cable is fully seated onto the back of the speedometer head.  When you stated that you "used a drill to turn the speedo and it moves like it should," was that with the drill motor attached at the transmission end of the cable?  It is very rare for the speedometer drive gear to fail without causing visible wear of the driven gear.  However, the drive gear may have shifted axially on the output shaft of the transmission if its retaining clip failed or was not properly installed during prior assembly.  Peruse the article, "Common causes of 'bouncy' speedometer needles" for additional insight.
Great thx. I'll try that and see what happens.

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 08:02:48 PM »
Put the rear end up in the air on jack stands. With the cable disconnected from trans and and out of park, rotate  the drive shaft and look at the end of the Driven gear and see if it rotates. Also make sure that the end of cable indexes into the gear properly. Have seen the square of the driven gear get rounded. Sometimes the inner cable does not go in the gear far enough and the very end of the square drive is worn so inspect gear carefully.

Offline Jimartina

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 08:55:42 AM »
Ok great. I'll try that too. 

Offline Jimartina

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 07:00:09 AM »
So I did as you suggested. While under the truck I realized that the sending unit wire Ran to the drivers side. Which made me think about the fact that my selector switch is missing. So as it turns out they wired the selector switch to drivers side tank, so they gauge was trying to read the drivers side tank sending unit. So I rewired the sending unit wires to use the passenger tank. So now my gauge reads properly.
I did use the tip with shorting to ground the sending unit wire to make sure the wiring was proper. Thanks for the tip.