Author Topic: Ballpark price on cab metal work  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
Ballpark price on cab metal work
« on: July 23, 2022, 09:30:23 PM »
I just purchased a 1987 v20. It needs cab corners, inner and outer rocker panels, and floor pans. What is a ballpark price I would be expecting to have that done? Not trying to match paint or anything.  Just pretty much the metal work, seal and prime it. Someone has replaced these things some years ago. Not sure if that makes it harder this time around.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Ballpark price on cab metal work
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 08:28:03 AM »
Door hinges need to be good first with doors properly fit, if not all of the work will result in poor fitment and bad body lines. As far as cost, it depends on who you find to do it and where you are. Most body shops will charge this out as custom fabrication vs standard repair rates if they will even do it. Right now I charge $180/hr for any fab work and am going up to $200/hr due to the rising cost of everything.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mike81K10

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 07:24:31 PM »
I would suggest buying a Mig welder and do it yourself. I wish I had bought a welder long before I did. It is rewarding and will save you much money over time.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 08:38:22 PM »
I have a mig welder. I am actually a welder by trade. But I stick weld and tig weld pipe. I tried some body work about 20 years ago and wasn't very happy with the results.  I was a teenager at the time, maybe I'll try it again. I've gained a little more finess and patience since then.

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 08:40:12 PM »
VZ, I will take your word on the doors being hung properly and lined up just right. Makes sense to me

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 09:06:05 AM »
I have a mig welder. I am actually a welder by trade. But I stick weld and tig weld pipe. I tried some body work about 20 years ago and wasn't very happy with the results.  I was a teenager at the time, maybe I'll try it again. I've gained a little more finess and patience since then.
I think you'll be prouder anyway... ;)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline haroldwca

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 12:30:10 PM »
If you already weld, you are far ahead of most of us who learned to weld because we needed big repairs and had a small budget.  That said, I echo everyone who has encouraged you to do it yourself.  The internet is there now to school you on anything that gives you difficulty.  Also, reach out to us on this forum, as there are many of us who began our welding skills with floors and rocker panels.

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 08:41:12 PM »
You are right, I know I can do it. Just going to be a learning experience.  The biggest thing with something like this is to take your time. Thank you all for the support and encouragement