Author Topic: No headlights, marker lights or horn. 87 v20  (Read 887 times)

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
No headlights, marker lights or horn. 87 v20
« on: August 11, 2022, 05:23:08 PM »
I have a 1987 Chevy V20. My headlights and Marker lights are not working . My horn is not either. I put a new headlight switch in, a new signal light switch. I have 2 volts at the headlight switch, no power at the high/low beam switch.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: No headlights, marker lights or horn. 87 v20
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 06:39:11 PM »
Make sure the battery cable connections are clean and tight at the battery, starter, and engine block.  Check the fusible links and their connections at the firewall junction block above the back of the motor and at the starter solenoid by giving the wires a firm tug to see if any stretch and verifying that the retaining hardware is tight.  Inspect the wire insulation for evidence of heat stress.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline peewee0413

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 06:46:50 PM »
I have a 1987 Chevy V20. My headlights and Marker lights are not working . My horn is not either. I put a new headlight switch in, a new signal light switch. I have 2 volts at the headlight switch, no power at the high/low beam switch.
Blown fuse?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Offline peewee0413

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 06:47:32 PM »

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 08:21:58 PM »
Thank you all for your input. I checked the fusible links on the starter. They all seemed fine.  No blown fuses. I guess I gotta check that 1 over on the firewall the little better. From what I'm understanding that is the one that feeds power to the headlights. When I get home I will open up that wiring diagram on my computer I will let you guys know what it was. Thank you very much and if you have any more ideas let me know