Author Topic: Windshield mirror adhesive  (Read 773 times)

Offline Geezer77GMC

Windshield mirror adhesive
« on: September 22, 2022, 07:21:45 PM »
Does anyone know of a good mirror adhesive or is it a yearly re-glue for every one? I've had my inside mirror fall off about every year for the past 30 years. Safelight replaced my windshield last year and yesterday the mirror was again on the floor.
Any sugestions beside just using the outside mirrors?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Windshield mirror adhesive
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 12:16:56 AM »
Permanent glass adhesive is a unique product requiring an adhesive primer/promoter/catalyst.  Use Loctite 37438, Permatex 81840, or 3M 08752 Rear View Mirror Adhesive.  About 0.3ml is sufficient for one mirror, so don't waste your money on larger quantities.  The mirror adhesives that are available typically bond for 3-5 years.

Mark the intended location of the mirror mounting button on the outside of the windshield using a grease pencil or crayon.  Loosen the mounting screw and separate the mirror from its rectangular mounting button, paying close attention to how they fit together.  If the existing button is plastic, replace it with a metal button; Dorman 76864 is an assortment of three metal button styles including GM.  Using a new single-edge safety razor, scrape all old bonding residue off of the glass and the smooth, non-dimpled side of the mounting button, being careful to avoid leaving any scratches.  Thoroughly wash the glass using an ammonia base glass cleaner and a clean dry rag.  Make sure that you orient and place the button exactly where you want it since you will get only one shot at installing it.  Once the button is firmly pressed against the glass and the adhesive sets (~30 seconds), the glass will crack before the button will dislodge!  Follow the instructions included with the adhesive verbatim, including preparation, the use of the primer/promoter, the amount of time you must apply pressure to the button, and the recommended cure time before remounting the mirror.  Don't rush it!
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Windshield mirror adhesive
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 10:11:24 PM »
I just relived this- chose Permatex $12.99 version.

They were out of the 8.00 version.

It had the cleaner, prep sand paper, activator, and ONE drop of glue.

She's hanging, hope it last longer than the super glue I used last time... :-[
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction