Author Topic: Front Brakes Locked Up  (Read 747 times)

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
    • What I've done to my truck so far :)
Front Brakes Locked Up
« on: September 24, 2022, 02:48:45 PM »
Hey guys Im having some problems with my front brakes. They are just locked up. If I jack up my trucks front end they will not spin. Im having a prob with my parking brake also so maybe thats why its happening? Tbh I dont know much about the parking brake/brake systems so I dont know if one can effect the other. My parking brake pedal just pushes down and pops back up without locking in the downward position. I think I pressed it to hard a long time ago. Im wondering if that could cause my front brakes to lock up or if I should look elsewhere for the cause. Thanks for ur time.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: Front Brakes Locked Up
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 05:22:12 PM »
Should be two different issues. The PB has teeth that latch in the mechanism and is released by the handle. It is easy to figure out. Your front brake may have a problem with the proportioning valve, or brake master cylinder. Check to make sure you have fluid in your master cylinder and ensure you don't have air in your lines. It would help to know more information about your truck. Some years may not have separate bowls for the front and rear brakes.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 05:37:28 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Front Brakes Locked Up
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 11:19:31 AM »
PB is a mechanical issue, nothing to do with the front at all.

How old are your rubber lines between the chassis and the caliper? I have had them act like a one way valve when they break internally.

Faked out into changing out the caliper.

Jack up one wheel, open the bleeder valve and see if they free up.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction