Author Topic: Ready to be blasted  (Read 9925 times)

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: Ready to be blasted
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2023, 06:53:29 PM »
Nice, Clean, and good detail.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Online Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2023, 07:37:30 PM »
Thank you! It's definitely a learning experience.  This my first time going this deep into a vehicle. Learning and enjoying the heck out of it.

Online Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2023, 07:50:46 PM »
Picked up a  used cheap set of wheels. Fronts are like new, rears are 3/4 new. I don't know what I want for wheels so I'm  experimenting. Mickey thompson sportsman s/t. On the rear is 295/50/15, on the front is 215/70/15. Rims are true and square, but junk. Old cragars chrome peeling, on the hub, and rust specs on the rim part. But it's a start. Thinking they might look a little small in my wheel wells with only a 2.5/4 drop. What do you guys think? She has a mean stance with the body off...

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

Online Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2023, 08:53:47 PM »
If anyone had any input on tire size,  I'd love to hear it.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2023, 07:56:12 AM »
Looks good dude  8)
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Online Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2023, 08:12:54 AM »
Thank you! Got some more parts to install today ;D

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2023, 11:31:25 AM »
I'm kinda digging the old skool Cragars Swamp!  Good-looking work man!  8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Online Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2023, 03:00:07 PM »
Me too! I've always liked these rims, too bad these ones are peeling.  If I end up liking this wheel size, this thing might get a new set of cragar ss some day

Online Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2023, 03:44:21 PM »
Added some belltech street performance shocks front and rear

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2023, 07:42:57 PM »
While the frame is exposed with full access, now is an opportune time to fabricate upper shock pin outboard supports, front and rear, so that the frame doesn't tincan and crack.  Similarly, the left frame rail could benefit from strategic reinforcement of the steering gear mount.  Since you have the frame already coated, perhaps a torque arm solidly coupling two of the steering box bolts to the center of the front cross member.

Your project is coming along nicely and looks great!  ;)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Online Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2023, 08:44:40 PM »
I'm all ears on the shock supports, what does this entail? As far as steering box support,  I was thinking that was an issue with the 4x4 trucks, guys getting stuck in the mud and rocks cutting the wheels back and forth.  But I'm intrigued, I definitely don't want my frame breaking. Any specific direction you can point me?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2023, 12:50:27 AM »
Links to relevant topics...

In context to the links, my truck is an '87 R10 (1/2-ton 2WD) that ran 28" tall tires most of its life from inception.  Even though the truck was restricted to normal street use, the steering gear nearly tore free from the frame over about 180,000 miles.  Both upper shock pin holes through the rear frame rails suffered from starburst and sub-concentric cracks that nearly resulted in the rear shocks separating from the frame.  My heart sank when I discovered the extent of the damage and estimated the effort needed to restore frame integrity.  Local frame shops offered meager (very poor) solutions in my estimation.  Consequently, I set to work evaluating frame rail strain, steering gearbox stress directions, axle motions and shock absorber force directions.  The end products were brackets that are fully self-supporting.  The steering gear torque arms eliminate frame twisting and subsequent cracks.  The shock absorber supports eliminate frame twisting and provide unimpeded shock movement.  Bear in mind that since your frame remains intact, you enjoy a significant advantage and likely would benefit from less robust solutions. 

Note that shock absorbers are not mounted vertically.  They are canted diagonally to the axle and frame.  My primary advice is to carefully evaluate the dominant axes (vectors) of shock compression and extension as each shock pivots through an independent arc controlled by drive axle up and down movement, and then model your brackets accordingly.  In addition, although constrained by the nature of leaf spring mounting, there does exist limited side-to-side displacement of the axle.  Hence, your bracket solutions need to accommodate that additional motion so that the shocks contact the vehicle ONLY through their respective mounting pins.  The bodies and shafts of the shocks should NEVER come into contact with any part of the vehicle.

Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Online Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2023, 11:06:01 AM »
Thank you! I will look into it

Online Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2023, 12:40:16 PM »
Stripping the firewall to clean up before cab goes on frame. I'm not sure what color this truck will end being. So i believe I'm gonna make the fire wall a matte black finish. I think that will work well know matter what color the truck becomes

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2023, 03:17:00 PM »
Matte black will look good.

who's you copilot?
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction