Author Topic: Belts- standard or not  (Read 874 times)

Offline Chanman09

Belts- standard or not
« on: March 07, 2023, 09:42:08 AM »
Hey guys,
This may be a dumb question, but I'm newish to this. 

I have an '86 C20 with a 350 engine and 350 trans.  With AC, power steering, and 2 smog pumps and charcoal cannisters. 

I have recently updated the fuel system.  (new driver's side tank and sending unit, new soft fuel lines, new fuel pump)

I got the old feller to run and idle with some sticky valves that eventually loosened up and ran smoother. 

As I was reaching over to rev the engine with the throttle cable, I got slapped in the face with part of a belt.  I shut it down and realized the alternator belt that has been sitting since 1996 had started to lose long strands from the outside of the belt.  Long, copper looking strands covered with some clothlike shoestring stuff. 

All the belts will need to be replaced, but I'm wondering if there's a package I can buy that includes everything I need, or if I'll need to have specific belts for each individual component. 

I will take pics and post soon. 

I believe I recall this specific belt is running over 3 pulleys. (crank, fan, and alternator)  I also have a belt that runs around the AC compressor and Power steering pump.  I removed both the AIR pumps and won't replace them, due to several...many broken, tore, cracked vacuum hoses that basically negate the things altogether.  There was 1 belt running around both of those pulleys and the fan. 

Looking from the front of the truck, into the engine bay, the a/c compressor is at the 1'oclock position from the fan.  Power steering like 3:30 or 4 o'clock.  Alternator at 11 o'clock.  AIR pump at 9:30 ish and another AIR pump at 7ish. 

The A/C, power steering, and AIR pump belts were/are all rubber with teeth-like grooves running horizontal to the belt.  This alternator belt that is fraying is smooth on the outside and grooved inside toward the pulleys. 

Like I said, this may be a silly question, and I may not have provided enough detail for the answer, but I had to ask. 

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
Re: Belts- standard or not
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 11:08:21 AM »
You only have 2 belts on the truck? Take a few pictures of the orientation,  pull them off and bring them to your local parts store to match them up. I'd lean toward saying they have them in stock right there.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 08:19:46 PM »
If your belts fit, just worn out, either remove them and take them with you to get new belts at the parts store or measure them and buy them by length.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 08:50:26 AM »
I see four belts (assuming no hydroboost)

Fan and alternator: 25050435
Fan a.i.r. pump to a.i.r. pump: 257440
Fan, a/c and power steering: 257555
A/C belt: 257405

These are NAPA p/n#s. 
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Chanman09

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 09:04:54 AM »
Yes,  you all are correct. 

There were originally four belts.  Now there are 3.  I did not recall how the power steering was seperate from the A/C drive.  I had to look again. 

I found some routing diagrams online and will take lots of pictures before I start this little project.  I'm waiting on couple things before I devote another full weekend to doing a few things on the truck. 

Thank you all for your help!

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 06:55:26 PM »
Wow, never heard of 2 A.I.R. pumps...

My K10 has 2 canisters.

I believe the PS has it's own, next to the AC belt.

I assume the PS has 2 grooves, right?

I dropped my PS belt, and bd yelled at me (as only he can)  ;D
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction