Author Topic: Drum Brake Hardware Help  (Read 643 times)

Offline Olon

Drum Brake Hardware Help
« on: April 27, 2023, 08:01:47 PM »
Hello, this is my first time servicing drum brakes. Things are going well but I'm confused by what these parts (image) are. It doesn't look like they're currently installed on the truck.

Thanks in advance!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Drum Brake Hardware Help
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 08:22:03 PM »
Those are dust caps to cover the oval adjustment windows in the brake backing plates, one for each side.  They snap into the windows from the backside so they can be removed to access the star wheels of the adjusters with a brake spoon.  Although, not all backing plates have adjustment windows.  In such cases, the brake adjustment windows are punch-outs located in the face of the brake drums, hidden behind the wheels. 
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Olon

Re: Drum Brake Hardware Help
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 10:38:30 PM »
Those are dust caps to cover the oval adjustment windows in the brake backing plates, one for each side.  They snap into the windows from the backside so they can be removed to access the star wheels of the adjusters with a brake spoon.  Although, not all backing plates have adjustment windows.  In such cases, the brake adjustment windows are punch-outs located in the face of the brake drums, hidden behind the wheels.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the help, never a good feeling to have extra unknown parts laying around

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk