Author Topic: Water Leak  (Read 8348 times)

Offline 85silverado

Water Leak
« on: February 25, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
I am having a hard time finding out where water is coming from, it is only wet when it rains so it's not the heater core. Both sides are wet. I poured water on the windshield and see water leaking around the firewall but can't see it leaking from the windshield. any advice?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Water Leak
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »
Pull your cowl panel off and you might find a rust hole or two under there! or if you have cab lights and the base gaskets are dry 7 cracked it could be coming in there.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 85silverado

water leak
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »
I don't have cab lights so it's not that. Could be the bottom of the windshield since I haven't thouroughly checked that. I know the leak comes from the very top by the dash somewhere.

Offline 85silverado

water leak
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
Also wanted to add that the windshield has two cracks running up on the driver and passenger sides. The cracks are under the rubber on both sides, maybe this is leaking?

OKUMA111

leak
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
maybe your windshield gasket needs replacement already

Offline 85silverado

water leak
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »
Yep I know it does, it is old looking and the chrome trim is yellow. I checked and found a bolt hole in the kick panel is leaking water, but it's still leaking from the dash area. Gonna take the cowl off tomorrow and check it out.

Offline 85silverado

water leak
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
I took off the cowl and saw that the sealer on the firewall was brittle and coming off,it had some rust too so I cleaned it all up and resealed it and I hope it will be fixed.

Offline 83silverado

Re: water leak
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »
How do you remove the cowl?

Offline 85silverado

water leak
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
Removing the cowl is easy, it is two small bolts near the hood. After you remove the metal piece then there are two more small bolts for the plastic piece. Open your hood and on the top of the firewall you'll see the bolts, they are 7mm. You'll have to stop your wipers so they are straight up and remove the blades, then the metal cowl slides up over them. After that you remove the other two 7mm bolts and the plastic piece just snaps off. Then you'll have access to the firewall where it seals together.

Offline 85silverado

water leak
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »
Well folks resealing the firewall fixed the leak.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »
Cool!

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
> Re: water leak
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »
Maybe you can describe how you did it and it could be used in the tech pages.  I am sure you were not the only person w/ that problem.  

Offline 85silverado

water leak
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »
It's very easy, I took off the cowl pieces and then I cleaned off all of the old sealer and trash where the cab and firewall meet. Then after everything is all cleaned up and dry I applied a large bead of new silicone to seal it up. I had to put it on my fingers to run the bead of silicone, then I put everything back together and let it cure for a week just to be safe. It has since rained and I washed my truck and now the carpet is dry.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »
You might want to keep an eye on it as silicone is not a real good sealer when it comes to auto motive aplications. Seam sealer is designed for this type of application.

Offline 85silverado

leak
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 07:24:00 PM »
I hope it works since it's guaranteed for 50 years. Anything is better than the junk the factory put there, I will have my eye on it and if she leaks again I'll fix it with the seam sealer as you suggest.