Author Topic: "Exhausting" Problem  (Read 5057 times)

Offline flyboy9994

"Exhausting" Problem
« on: March 05, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »
Well, I finally have my motor running good and the new headers fit and look great... except for one small problem!!

The drivers side header collector exits right in front of the transmission crossmember. Not above it where it's supposed to go or below but smack dab right into the middle. My goal is to go up and over it to keep the exhaust tucked up and relatively level with the passenger side. At first I thought I could make a small "S" bend right after the collector to get it up and over the crossmember but it's just too close. The passenger side clears easily however it passes underneath the crossmember.

My next plan of attack involves modifying the crossmember itself. It looks like I can do some heating and bending and/or some grinding but I'm concerned about the trans mount and if I don't get the bend just right, will it effect drivetrain geometry??

Has anybody had this same problem and are there any easy fixes??

Randy in Kentucky

Randy in Kentucky

1977 Cheyenne LWB

Offline shaved80

Re: "Exhausting" Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
i'd say get different headers

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
Whose brand of headers are you running?  I advise against modifying the crossmember.  I am running Hooker Competition Series headers.  They run $170 or so through several companies.  They don't get in the way of anything.

Offline flyboy9994

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
I'm running Hedman Elite ceramic coated headers. They are extremely well built and the finish is great. They were a little pricey so buying another set of headers aint gonna happen. The passenger side comes down and exits in the perfect location with the collector and pipe clearing the crossmember just right so I'm pretty sure it isn't a header problem. As you know, the crossmember has a weird bend in it where it crosses under the driver side floor which requires the drivers side pipe to be on top of the crossmember instead of below like the passenger side.

1976Scottsdale, are you able to run your exhaust straight thru the crossmember with no bends in the pipe after the collector??

Also, after looking at my neighbors truck, it appears as if my crossmember may be bent upwards a little on the drivers side. The bottom rail of the frame just forward of the crossmember is bent upwards where somebody has bottomed out the truck at one time and I believe this is what is causing me all this heartache and dispair!!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and I'll try and get some pics up so you can see what I'm trying to explain. Now if only the danged rain would stop!!

Randy in Kentucky

Randy in Kentucky

1977 Cheyenne LWB

Offline doctrdoo

re:exhausting problem
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
flyboy9994-i have an 85 c-10 with the same problem-driver side header collector exiting in front of crossmember.unfortunately i cut up my old exhaust before realizing this problem. if you need to drive the truck soon-you can make a pieced together exhaust using "flex pipe"from the collector to the exhaust pipes(only need about a 1 ft. piece)that you can get from auto parts store for about $5. until you get this problem figured out.

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Eaxhaust
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 06:20:00 AM »
I am not sure, let me look today and I will let you know.

Offline 86 chevy silverado

• Registered Users
exhausting problem
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »
I had the same prob on my 81 c-20, I had custom pipes made that curled around the cross member and worked out fine. I had full size headers and still had enough room to go up and over.

Offline dragmine

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
I done mine and can e mail some pictures.Its no big deal.Just brace the crossmember with some scrapemetal before you cut it out to section in a piece of box tubing. If been pounding on mine for 4 years with slicks.

Offline 83c10

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »
I had the same problem, and i just bent the exhaust pipe so it went underneath the crossmember, but i have see people cut out that section and replace it with a 4 or 6 in. piece of steel tubing, that worked good, and looked cool too. I just ordered some hooker super comps, so i may be customizing mine now too.