Author Topic: dang thing wont start  (Read 3658 times)

Offline larbuck

dang thing wont start
« on: January 09, 2002, 10:44:00 AM »
ok guys i just found your web site and i have got a real problem!!!!!!
here it is
there seems to be a short somewhere in the truck at first i thought it was the clutch safety switch so i pulled out the wires and connected them togather and bingo it started well when i went to leave after work guess what it didnt start so i reached up under the dash and played with the wires and it started this went on for a couple of days so yesterday i pulled the dash apart to see what was going on the two wires where yellow and purple the purple wire goes out through the fire wall and i belive to the starter the yellow wire goes to what i belive is the ignition switch that is mounted on the steering collum the wires are pretty thick and i dont belive there is a short could the switch be bad ??????? any help would be greatly welcomed oh ya the truck is a 85 1/2 ton shortbed 4x4 brand new 350 4spd 4 inch lift on 36" boggers

thanks louis

Offline smokin77

• Registered Users
Re: dang thing wont start
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2002, 10:54:00 PM »
Your problem is probably a loose or bad connection, not a short. Or, the switch could be bad. I suggest that you check all the connections and make sure they're not loose or if they are dirty clean them. If that doesnt work try to bypass the switch, like if you were to hotwire it. If it starts you will know its the switch.
  Hope I was a help
  Tony

rat 383

try the starter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2002, 11:23:00 PM »
i would have the starter checked have them check it several times before to make sure thats not the problem

Offline RAYMOND

no start
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2002, 10:38:00 PM »
I screwed around with the same problem on my 6.2 Burban. Every time I was in a position to work on it, it started perfectly.  It would always start if you tapped the starter with the tire tool. When I took the starter off, I found the screw in the lower solenoid terminal was not tight. If the starter is over 5years old, rebuild or replace it with a rebuilt unit (Advance gives a lifetime waranty and I have collected bigtime) The chance is 99% the problem will be cured in the process. Don't forget to check those dang fusible links.