Author Topic: What do you like/dislike ?  (Read 17387 times)

Offline 123 pugsy

What do you like/dislike ?
« on: April 06, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »
I was working on my truck tonight on the interior and getting frustrated and said to myself "what do I like so much about these trucks to suffer so badly?"

So I thought I'd ask eveyone what they like about these trucks  and what drives you batty?

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline DnStClr

Re: What do you like/dislike ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »
:lol  Great topic, pugsy.  

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
You know I have something to say here, don't I always?
Likes: Working on these heavy chevys isn't rocket science.  they are really easy to work on, get parts for, tune up, etc..  It is very rewarding working on your chevy.  Turn a few wrenches-get immediate satisfaction and improved performance or better looks.  You can use these babies as daily drivers and really use them as they were intended....as trucks.  Those of us w/ small blocks...heck, you can switch motors in a weekend, beef up your 350/305 really easily and cheap, etc..  And, it is a great reason to get out of the house and work on a hobby or forget work for a while or whatever.  

What gets my goat???  Well, seeing those little Jap pickups running around everywhere....those little pieces of sss.....well, you get the idea.  

We can all go to a dealership and get a new $30k truck, but you just don't get that satisfaction. Heck, if you add up all the hours we spend on our 4 wheeled family members, add a dollar amount and it ends up being over $30k.    Look at your hands-then look at your truck.  You can honestly say "I built that baby"

Don, I agree, great topic.

SgtDel
aka: Andy
www.delbridge.net

Edited by: SgtDel at: 4/6/06 10:28 pm

Offline bfofish

• Too Many Toys..... Not Enough Time
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 11:53:00 PM »
couldn't agree more,i grew up around chevys.i have owned other makes,but allways loved my bowties.i currently own 3.i have a 1988 k5 blazer,a 1984 k5 military blazer(cucv) and my little 1996 s-10 pick-up .i am currently rebuilding the 84 from the ground up. i also belive that the satisfaction i get from working on my own vehicles is great. it's kinda like therapy  :rollin     sometimes good other times not so good :lol     but i enjoy it. the main thing i hate is seeing a chevy that the owner takes no pride in!  be proud of your ride! espicially if you built them or even just work on them.check out the blazers here..www.cardomain.com/ride/2313703

Edited by: bfofish at: 4/6/06 10:59 pm
1987 Stepside 2wd , 2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab

Offline toplessblazer

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »
I like the fact that they are cheap and easy to work on. Since they were made for almost twenty years parts are plentiful. Also I think the 81-87/91 style was the  best looking truck bodies chevy ever made. I am not a fan of the 67-72 trucks even though they are way more popular. There are so many ways to customize these trucks useing stock GM parts from different years.

What I dislike is usually crappy gas mileage thats why I have one of those jap trucks mentioned earlier (2005 reg cab 2WD Tacoma). Say what you will about those Jap trucks but I love my Toyota just as much as my old blazer, and the blazer will never yeild 25 mpg around town. The overall fit and finish of the body panels are a pain in the butt as well. Takes forever trying to get everything to line up, especially when working by yourself. I don't much care for the dashes in these trucks. They are not designed very well and the pieces don't fit together like they should. Also what drives me nuts is that dent that develops on the lower rear part of the door. All the 73-75 Blazers that I have had never had this dent but almost every truck or 76+ blazer or suburban has had this little ripple dent in both front doors.
If this part of your door hasn't rotted away go outside and rub you hand over the lower rear section of your door and you will see what I am talking about.

Wow my dislike paragraph is bigger than my likes. What am I doing dumping money in my blazer? I guess it becomes an uncontrollable addiction.

ccb

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 03:45:00 AM »
Great Idea, Well I got my first new truck in 1977 iT was a short bed 4 speed for some reason I never went for a four wheeler. I end up making it a pre runner be for there were such a thing It was orange with a cat yellow in the center.

Anyway. the 1980  1ton I have now is the first chevy truck I have tore down.
I just learn how cheap these truck were made. and if you every try to pull the dually fender off a rusted truck you will know what I'm talking about. I just never really took a look at how the outer and inner bed side were held together, What a piece of junk. The cab in my mind is laded out real simple and easy to take a part. Now I say that only Because the 1989 trucks we have are a real pain in the b-tt to get to the stuff they have stuff under the dash and the trim snaps on no screws but try getting it off with out break the plastic. Oh the 89's look nice but must have cut every corner there was. BTW can you tell I don't thing much of the mechincal design on the 89.
The only other thing I found that made we want to shoot the design guys was the heater box, why in God name would you but the nut on the fire wall side. I know everone know how hard it is to change one. and the last think is the fit and finish These trucks where never know for every thing lining up, we use to joke about that. Its sure a lot better than a japan tin can. well Not any more!
I never cared much for the stock looks and always like the after market part that really made the trucks stand out.

Craig

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »
The only thing I don't really like is the fact that the steering wheel is so close to the driver...GM should have made it a little bit shorter. (And I'm not fat either...so no fat jokes :)  )

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »
I just love the body style of these trucks.I prefer 73-79 but to each his own.They rarely break down when you're driving on the highway leaving you stranded.

Working around the dash,the bezel taking it on and off,the cluster,broken plastic.....trying to sqeeze the bezel in without scratching the steering column or cracking the bezel,getting it to fit into the duct......kind of a pain...  but once you're done you forget all the pain in the @@@ stuff and enjoy driving.

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
like and dislikes
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
i like the bodystyle of these trucks any years, 73 to 87. they have a lot of options. I'm 19 and all my friends have newer trucks, i.e. Z71's and 4x4 Tahoes, 2002 and newer Dodges, so i like to be different. for the most part they're easy to work on. i personally have the 87 year model. they look mean and tuff >: .

the dislikes, sometimes they can be moneypits. some things don't line up on them, for example a lot of the trucks, but not all, the bed sticks out a little more on the right side. but this stuff doesn't bother me. i wouldn't have my truck any other way.

and for some strange reason there not chic magnets like the newer trucks or it could just be me:eek .

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
Re: like and dislikes
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
One more dislike...I don't like the fast that the rear track width is narrower than the front track width...it obviously makes the rear wheel tuck in further...not cool lookin IMO.

I prefer the 73-80 models hands down, especially the 73-78's.  :D  

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Like/Dislike
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »
I like the simplicity.  I have owned 8 of them now and currently own 2, which will soon become 3.  They are so easy to fix and build, and everyone here has helped me whenever I needed it.  I like that I can have an engine out of the truck and another one in in under 2 hours.

I dislike the fact that the front clip is kind of tricky sometimes.  Other than that, the only other thing is that the weatherstripping is easily cut at the bottom of the cab from people stepping on the sill plates.

My single biggest dislike is not even about these trucks themselves.  I usually have to tell my dad's friends how to fix their 73-87 trucks.  They all seem to think that I have no idea what I am doing.  Now, I have not always been very smart with the engines... reference the 76's Hydraulic cam engine being made to run at 9000RPM plus... admittedly a bad idea... okay, plain stupid of me.  I have not done that again ever.  Point being, I have learned more over the last year and having others tell me to my face that I know nothing makes it very hard to remain... shll we say, civil.

Offline shaved80

Like/Dislike
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »
they are plain and simple, and extremely easy to work on. not alot of computer crap or anything hard to tear down. like said earlier, there are alot of ways to customize it using stock options.

i'd have to agree that the dash is a pita to work with, but other than that i can't really complain much about them, it gets me from point a to point b, while looking cool :hat  

Offline lokmotion85

Re: Like/Dislike
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »
great topic, I'm oppsessed w/ these trucks 81-87 favorite ,but like all them ,have owed several currently have five running ,two for parts ,plus just find 4-dr cab & frame ,going after tomorrow,like simplicity like me ,parts are easy to get,enterchangabillity,cheap well some what,love the looks ,motors are tough trannys are the best ,i can go on , dislike ,HOOD RELEASE ,dont ask ,window jambs ,cant get mine to stay in track,beds rust out to easy ,here in ohio,changing power window motors,wouldn't trade for new ,havn't like the looks since 88 came out would bye a ford first sorry ,just the way i feel, probally put a chevy in it ,roll low ....drag hard

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 06:17:00 AM »
Every one I have owned ,when you pull down the sun visor,it hits the rear view mirror.

Is this normal in these trucks or has someone changed/installed the wrong mirror?

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »
My sun visor nails the mirror toothe only issue that I have ever had with the 3 trucks that I've owned( '79 k5, '83 Blazer, the current one '81 c10) has been the previous owners butchering the electrical systems. Please guys, if it's broke, FIX IT THE RIGHT WAY!!!!!!!! My '81 has been completely rewired under the dash, ALL IN RED WIREI'd like to wring the dudes neck that did it, but it's fun in a way to take something that someone had a brain fart on and do it the way that it should have been done right in teh first place. I've found out the hard way that if you don't do it right the first time, you're gonna do it again--soon. Just like my cam change ( new cam + old lifters + improper break in = rounded off cam lobes and mushroomed tappets and LOTS of words that Roundedline would get pretty angry about seeing on the site. Anyways, I love these truck and will always own at least one.

JayTater

Z28 C10