Author Topic: **Installiation questions on 84 Chevy C10- Full Dash -Autometer Gauges**  (Read 33479 times)

Offline Kody021

What is the simplest way to do this? On the back of the gauges there is just two bolts to hold them in place. Would it be easiest to just make some small straps that butt up against the back of the bezel, or is there a better way? The gauges I have are all electric Procomp Ultra-Lite 5" Tach, 5" Speedo, 2 1/16" Volt, 2 1/16" Fuel, 2 1/16" Temp, 2 1/16" Oil Pressure, and 2 1/16" Clock. I don't plan on using the clock since there is not enough room. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Offline Dragon

Chris(Site owner/moderator Capt) has a Very Detailed write-up with pics by Jeff(Bigblock73) over on 73-87.com
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/interior/gauge_surface.htm

Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline Kody021

Thanks man that was greatly appreciated!!! Hope I can return the favor sometime!

Offline lawdog49

I'm a little unclear about the Painless harness he's talking about- is there a harnes that will plug directly into the factory guage harness?  A part # would be great, I want to do this, but was hoping I could buy a harness instead of cutting factory wires or running all new wires for senders and such..
1991 GMC Suburban 1500   -   5.7/AT/4x4/TBI

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
No, it won't plug in, you have to cut the wires on the factory harness.

Offline lawdog49

ok, so what is the benefit of buying the painless harness- i guess i'm still just confused how it makes things any easier.  got a schematic of which wires go to what? :)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
The painless harness has a plug that you can tie into with connectors for all the autometer gauges which just plug into the gauges.  Otherwise you have to crimp a bunch of blade terminals on the wires.

Offline Dragon

Thanks man that was greatly appreciated!!! Hope I can return the favor sometime!
No Worries Bro, Always Happy to Help when I can....  We all have various areas of knowledge/experiences to share in some way...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:03:36 AM by Dragon »
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
I have both the 73-87 complete truck wiring harness, so adding the univ gauge wiring harness was a no brainer.  Like Chris said, much easier to wire...and remove all the gauges easier if I need to remove them by simply un-plugging them.
Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline Magnimike1

So how do you go about wiring up the high beam and most importantly the turn signals???

Offline Dragon

So how do you go about wiring up the high beam and most importantly the turn signals???
Well if you are following the write up, the Turn Signals still use the Factory locations and wiring...  For Highbeams, you easily add a single Radio Led that you can mount anywhere on the dash.....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows

Offline Magnimike1

Well if you are following the write up, the Turn Signals still use the Factory locations and wiring...  For Highbeams, you easily add a single Radio Led that you can mount anywhere on the dash.....

Not very clear

Offline Dragon

Sorry Mike,just follow the way Jeff did his Cluster, to keep his Factory Turn Signal Locations(So no cutting or changing the locations needed)..
Jeff's Cluster Write up is found here:
Then you can simply add a Single LED Light that you can find at your local Radio Shack for the Highbeam Indicator...  Just cut the Wires from your old Highbeam Indictor light socket, and connect a small LED in its place,then simply drill a Hole on your new cluster where you want it....

If you want Custom Turn Signals to match the LED Highbeam indicator, you simply cut and splice LEDs in place of the Turn Signal Bulb Sockets as well.... You may also need to get a Special Light Flasher to get them to work properly though(For Turn Signals/Hazzards only, as the Highbeam indicator only comes on with the switch, and isn't needed to flash) ....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows

Offline lawdog49

pardon my ignorance here- but does anyone have a schematic of wire colors for which guages from the factory to make splicing easier?  i haven't pulled the cluster out to look at the wires- so i'm just trying to get all the info i can before i pull it all apart and start cutting.

Offline Magnimike1

Sorry Mike,just follow the way Jeff did his Cluster, to keep his Factory Turn Signal Locations(So no cutting or changing the locations needed)..
Jeff's Cluster Write up is found here:
Then you can simply add a Single LED Light that you can find at your local Radio Shack for the Highbeam Indicator...  Just cut the Wires from your old Highbeam Indictor light socket, and connect a small LED in its place,then simply drill a Hole on your new cluster where you want it....

If you want Custom Turn Signals to match the LED Highbeam indicator, you simply cut and splice LEDs in place of the Turn Signal Bulb Sockets as well.... You may also need to get a Special Light Flasher to get them to work properly though(For Turn Signals/Hazzards only, as the Highbeam indicator only comes on with the switch, and isn't needed to flash) ....

So somehow for the blinkers you splice into the factory ribbon?