Author Topic: **Installiation questions on 84 Chevy C10- Full Dash -Autometer Gauges**  (Read 33485 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
You cut off the push in plug for the cluster and tap into the wiring at the plug....  You are trashing the whole printed circuit with this mod..

Offline Magnimike1

You cut off the push in plug for the cluster and tap into the wiring at the plug....  You are trashing the whole printed circuit with this mod..

Okay Thanks!

Offline chkdsk

Re: **Installiation questions on 84 Chevy C10- Full Dash -Autometer Gauges**
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 07:48:03 PM »
Guys,

Just getting caught up on the posts and ran across this one. Couple of quick questions:
- The link for the Painless Wiring isn't coming up properly; does any one have a part # that I can search their site for?
- Also where can I source the Aluminum Bezel for this? Does Chris carry these?

Thanks.

Chkdsk.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »
I have the aluminum bezel overlay here:
http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=7&Category_Code=7G

Painless' website search must be messed up, but the PN's you are looking for are #30301 - For cable driven speedometer.
#30302 - For electric speedometer.

Offline Kody021

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 02:56:23 PM »

Just Finished It!!!!!

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 12:16:17 PM »
there ya go!

Offline black82

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 09:24:45 AM »
 did you use the 2 and 1/16 gauge or did you have to get 2 and 5/8 ?
i want to do the same but i want to use cobalt guages and i dont thing they offer them in 2 5/8 ???

Offline Kody021

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
Sorry I did use 2 5/8, because the 2 1/16 were to small. I had to sand a little out of the dash to put th gauges in, but it wasn't really that hard.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 01:34:47 AM »

Just Finished It!!!!!

Very nice! But i wonder... this may sound like a dumb question but i am a not to short of a guy so it may affect me. Does the fact that those are not going to be recessed (sunk into) the bezel like the factory ones hinder the visibility of them in any way? They are just flush with the bezel instead of sunk in and tilted slightly up. Are you going to have to sorta tilt your head down to see them now, or will it be like the factory ones where you can just glance at them?

Offline GVazquez

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »

Okay Thanks!

Let me know when your done with yours................. So You can do mine.

Finda a tranny yet?

Offline frogman68

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 02:34:45 AM »
Question the Speedo's I am finding have a 5/8 thread not the GM connection do you buy a new cable (custom) or is there a adapter ?

Offline black82

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »
autometer makes a cable i think its $50

Offline CruzinHigh

• Registered Users
  • Chevy 4 life
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »

Very nice! But i wonder... this may sound like a dumb question but i am a not to short of a guy so it may affect me. Does the fact that those are not going to be recessed (sunk into) the bezel like the factory ones hinder the visibility of them in any way? They are just flush with the bezel instead of sunk in and tilted slightly up. Are you going to have to sorta tilt your head down to see them now, or will it be like the factory ones where you can just glance at them?

I have this mod and it doesn't bother me one bit whatsoever that they aren't recessed into the bezel / and or angled upward.  The sheer size of the gauges compensates for any inconvenience the angle change might make if you ask me.

Mike Carter
1986 Chevy K-10 4x4

8" lift project on the way soon!

Offline static22

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 10:50:33 PM »
If you've got one post a pic of the back side as well.

Offline CruzinHigh

• Registered Users
  • Chevy 4 life
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »
If you've got one post a pic of the back side as well.

Well, my setup isn't exactly what the guys have described here.  I did use the aluminum bezel sold here to house the gauges, but the back side is a gutted factory cluster housing with part of the printed circuit still used.   I did that because I wanted to use the little turn signal areas with the arrows, and the bulb housings were practically impossible to just solder connections on to or something.  Now in hindsight, it would have been much easier to just use some little green LED's from an auto parts store.

You have several easy options for the accessory lights, you can buy LED's in green, blue, and red.  I used a blue one for the high beam indicator.   Several of the other option lights I've ditched altogether. 

Most of my wiring is direct to the fuse block.  I rebuilt my entire wire harness and did this project during the rebuild.

The wires are pretty simple actually.  LOTS of them for bulb power (very low amp draw) and then I branched a bus connection for all the power for the gauges individually.  Ground is obviously, a piece of cake.  Other than that, its just the connections for all the sender wires.

This was where I soldered wires right onto the printed circuit.  Again, pretty silly in the long run when you can simply buy some LED's, although this was as cheap as cheap gets!

Mike Carter
1986 Chevy K-10 4x4

8" lift project on the way soon!