Author Topic: 6 in rods in a 355 opinions  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Lit549

• Banned
6 in rods in a 355 opinions
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
I need advice,im building a 355 with scat crank and flat top pistons for my 85 c10 daily driver.Ive read and searched till im blue in the face and still haven't decided if a 6in rod is a good choice for a daily driver? Ive heard the pin is closer to the rings so oil useage and piston rock may be an issue? Ive also read the 6 in rod is a lot easier on skirt pressure and is more efficient? Any suggestions or opinions or maybe experience  in having used a 6 in rod?Again,its a 85 c10 and will have vortech heads w lt4 hotcam and 3.08 gear..About 10-1 compression..thanks in advance

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 6 in rods in a 355 opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:23:42 PM »
I run 6" H-beam rods with a Scat forged one-piece crank twisted by forged +0.030" Wiseco flat tops in my 87 355.  There is a slight torque advantage coupled with a slight decrease in piston side thrust - essentially, less energy is wasted and more energy is transferred directly to the crank.  The engine consumes ~1 quart in 3,000 miles, which may be related more to short trip driving.  You may need to relieve the base of the cylinders for adequate rod clearance.  Although I'm a proponent of 6" rods, in reality, benefits likely will go unnoticed in a DD.

My only regret is that I didn't clearance the block for a 3.75" stroker and groove the leading sides of the lifter bores for enhanced lobe oiling while I had it apart.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 11:17:53 PM »
What exactly are you talking about with the better oilng to lifters? Never heard of that,i may try that! Thanks

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:41:04 PM »
COMP Lifter Bore Grooving Tool

Instructions are posted with the tool listing.  It grooves the lifter bore up to the height of the lifter oil relief, so there is a constant supply of oil onto the leading edge of the lifter where it meets the cam lobe.  An alternative is to use laser drilled lifters.  Best time for the procedure is when the block is stripped, before hot tanking.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
For a daily driver, I don't think it would be worth the added cost.

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:23:32 PM »
thanks,ive decided on 5.7 rods and concetrate on heads and cam..And upgrading to forged pistons..Looking @comp extreme energy roller cam setup..