Author Topic: Rocker ratio??  (Read 1870 times)

Offline PRattenbury

Rocker ratio??
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:40:45 PM »
Hi, this may be my first post here. I have a 1980 short wide bed C10 that originally came with a 4.1L 6 cylinder engine. I bought the truck with a small V8 in it, and the seller said it was a 350. It had headers on it, and had a 'new' 2 barrel carb. It also had a new looking fuel pump. The seller said the truck ran, but once the choke let off, it would die. So he said the choke needed to be adjusted. The body wasn't horrible albeit in red primer all over. The interior was a complete disaster. So I paid $1250 for it and had it dragged to the house. I get the truck in the garage and get it started up. Sure enough, the truck runs pretty good while the choke is on. But once the choke lets off, it dies. But the choke was adjusted just fine. It did what it was supposed to do. So I went through all the vacuum lines looking for a leaker that would cause a lean condition and make the truck die. I found some bad spots, fixed them up, started it again, but still no run with the choke off. Hmm. I took the carb off the intake and checked the base gasket. It was okay, so I reinstalled the carb and tried running it again. No joy. By this time I'm getting convinced I must have a intake gasket leaking or something. I decide I'll just pull it apart, freshen up the gaskets, and hopefully correct the leak. Since I know the engine is not original I take the numbers off the block and see what I have on the internet. I have a 1969 307 block. Marvelous. Then I figure I better check the heads to see what they are. They're 882 castings which meant 1.94 intakes and 76cc chambers. That must be giving me a whopping 8:1 compression ratio. Cool. So I rip it apart. I have no clue what kind of cam it has in it or how many miles are on this engine. I pull it all the way down to the block, oil pan off, everything.
It turns out someone may have changed the cam in the engine because it was sporting a chrome timing cover under the black paint. I dunno. So I am putting in an Edelbrock Performer cam, new lifters, new double roller timing chain and gears (the old one was sloppy). Also I got some 416 casting heads reworked with 1.94 valves, 60cc chambers, screw in studs, Z28 springs blah blah. Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 600 carb. All new tins, the old ones were beat. So anyway, to my point (question, really). I'm wondering what the rocker ratio is/was for this motor. I really am not too enthused about increasing the ratio. I just want to replace the stock ratio stamped steelies with some rollers and remove some friction from the equation. Anyone know what the stock ratio would be? I'm thinking 1.5 but I could be wrong... 

Offline Josh454

• Registered Users
Re: Rocker ratio??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »
You are correct.  All small blocks use a 1.5 ratio.