73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > LT/LS Swaps

VSS - 4l60e swap

(1/2) > >>

smurfasaur:
Swapping a 5.3/4l60e into my K20 with an NP208 that has a cable speedometer. I thought I had a good solution worked out for the VSS (using Dakota Digital SEN 01-4160 driven off the mechanical speedo cable in the transfer case coupled with a SGI-5e to increase the output to 128k/mile), but I was just reading on Jags That Run that the only way to make a VSS work right with a 4x4 mechanical speedo is to use a clamp on reluctor ring on the output shaft of the tranny, and drilling a hole in the tailhousing/4x4 adapter for the VSS.

Anyone else running a similar combo? What are you guys doing to solve the VSS issue?

Price wise it would be cheaper to go for the drilling and reluctor ring, which would probably give a more reliable reading (and I already have the VSS off the 2wd tailhousing my tranny came with). But at the same time I’m a little squeamish about drilling a hole in my tranny adapter (kinda hard to fix if I eff it up).

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfasaur:
Nobody has any info? Does anyone know any members or even someone not on the forum who has a similar setup that I could pick their brain?

Getting close to being able to stick everything in the truck and machining a hole in the tranny tail housing would be much easier if I did it before it was installed

VileZambonie:
The VSS input depends on what you are using for a controller. Are you using a factory PCM?

smurfasaur:
Yep factory pcm so it should want the 40 pulse per revolution. The more I research I think it will be fine to go the Dakota Digital route... May not shift quite right in Low but I have maybe used Low twice in my years of driving a 4x4 so I’m not super concerned.

Also I was thinking, does anyone know if the speedometer is “off” when driving a truck in Low? Thinking it must be since the speedometer gear is in the output housing of the NP208 I have.

VileZambonie:
Why not run a 40 pulse vss? Just google it and there are different solutions depending on which way you want to set it up. I would use a pass through Like #3
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version