Author Topic: 454 swap for 6cyl questions?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline samseye

454 swap for 6cyl questions?
« on: March 10, 2006, 10:14:00 PM »
I have a stock straight 6 cyl 1984 1/2 ton swb with 700r4.

I just bought a 454 BB out of a 1986 Suburban.

Engine comes with all brackets and accessories.

Only part missing is the flywheel.

I will be attempting my swap in a few weeks and figure I could go ahead and start getting parts together now.

1) Any issues using the 700r4 with the 454?

2) I am sure I need to get the larger radiator.  But what other parts will I need.

3) Wiring, fuel lines, motor mounts...any issues there?

4) Exhaust...obviously can't use the old set up.  I am in Ohio and no longer have E checks...but you never know... they may come back.  Any advice on where to go to as far as kits?  How much trouble does a guy get into for not putting the cat system back on?  Engine has stock exhaust manifolds.

Thanks for the help!
David

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: 454 swap for 6cyl questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 12:10:00 AM »
The stall speed in the torque converter I would imagine is diferent from the 250 to the 454.
The 6 wiring harnes will work but might need a bit of mods. Your best bet would be get an engine harnes from an 84 V8 truck. They plug right into the fuse box after you remove the one bolt right in the middle of it on the engine side.
You can buy high flow aftermarket cats for duals. I would look into them if you are concerned about that.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline samseye

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »
Sounds like with the engine harness, motor mounts, torque converter and radiator...no major surprises.
Everything should fit!

Will a manifold back kit for an older truck with out cats bolt right up or are there major changes underneath?

Thanks!
David

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »
They are all pretty much the same underneath except 2 wheel drive & 4 wheel drive.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs