Author Topic: Cab Corner Question  (Read 2201 times)

Offline ahobson1

Cab Corner Question
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:00:21 AM »
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have an 86 stepside project going on right now. It needs the usual things, floor pans, inner and outer rockers, and cab corners. I went out and looked today and I found that the inner cab corners were rotting away too. Just wondering if anyone had any pictures or helpful info on how to do inner cab corners. I'm new to body work and all the other things seem pretty straight forward but this inner cab corner thing is kinda throwing me a curveball.
Adam - K10 Stepside (My Automotive Education on Wheels!)

Offline jaredts

Re: Cab Corner Question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:43:47 AM »
Mine was bad to about halfway up the body plug hole.  I was surprised at how well a patch piece butt welded in turned out.  The shape is intimidating, but it actually was pretty easy.  I used a vice and hammer to bend the lip on the bottom, put a split in it where the hole is and started bending by hand and tweaking with hammer and vice.  Test fit with the outer cab corner until it was right, butt weld on, use a dremel w/cutoff wheel to make the hole.  The repair was almost invisible.  If you do have to replace it I think it would be very easy, though.  Once you cut off the outer there aren't many spot welds left (depending on how high up you cut your outer corner off).  Drill a few remaining spot welds and its off.  Drill a few holes and plug weld the new one on.  Of course fit with the new outer and screw it in place before welding.  If you haven't started this job yet I'd be surprised if this is the part that causes you trouble.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »
     There are a few ways to go about it, but what jaredts said is one of the easy ways to do it,  And welcome to the site.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Offline ahobson1

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 02:06:19 AM »
Thanks guys! I actually found that thread randomly on google and thats how i found this site haha. It's definately going to be a big help. I didn't even know where to begin until I saw that. This project actually wont be starting until the spring. It's about -2 degrees here in Indiana and the wifes car is hogging the garage until it warms up. Just trying to get all the info I can before it starts.
Adam - K10 Stepside (My Automotive Education on Wheels!)