Author Topic: Clear coat, polish, etc etc...?  (Read 7130 times)

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
Clear coat, polish, etc etc...?
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:39:35 PM »
My old '79 has really oxidized paint, and the original plan was to keep it but try and bring out the color a bit.  Now I am considering other approaches.

Let's say I wanted to try and "bring back" the faded, oxidized paint on my old truck.  See the pic.  What would YOU do and why?

I can do a cheap Rustoleum clear coat.  I can polish it up.  I can do whatever.  And I am NOT looking for a showroom shine - but I think it could be nice if done right.  What I want is to bring out what is there as far as color.  Not going to repair anything and not even going to get rid of the scratches.  Just want to see what I can do with what is there, and (as usual) want it to be cheap.

What'cha got?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:57:33 AM by OldGray »
1979 Chevrolet Bonanza / 305 / LWB

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
Re: Clear coat, polish, etc etc...?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:40:46 AM »
Whats wrong w/just getting some quality 3M compound and some quality wax? Lotta work, yes.......
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
Nope - got nothing against hard work!  But I did happen to run across this product that looks promising - http://vivilon.com

Might be the ticket!

Offline Tazman

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:26 PM »
gunrac had a good point 3m hand glaze will do a great job bringing the shine back and then use Mequirs number 26 hard yellow wax to keep it that way. It is the only wax I use, the protection lasts longer.
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline haroldwca

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:29:54 PM »
If you have access to a power buffer, it will reduce the workload from days to hours.  You should notice marked results almost instantly.  It may be obvious, but I'll say it anyway.  Start with a good wash with dish soap to get rid of everything loose.

If you want to increase the level of results, wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper before buffing. I use Meguiars rubbing compound with a foam power buffing pad, but there are lots of products available.  Yes, there is definite improvement that can come from what you want to do.

Last fall, I was polishing my wife's car in the driveway next to my truck.  The paint on my wife's car is nice.  My truck's - not so much.  Even so, I thought I might see what I could do with my buffer.  Not a showroom finish, but I did what you were describing - bringing back as much as I could.  The results surprised me.  And by the way, my paint looked way worse than yours.  You should be able to bring back some respectable shine.  Give it a try, and good luck!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:32:13 PM by haroldwca »

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 05:22:55 AM »
If your paint is beat it really won't matter much, but you shouldn't use dish soap to wash automotive paint.
Car wash soap. If you have greasy hand prints, or oil from an oil burner engine, or if you have a mold issue Purple Power, or Casrol Super clean 50/50 or in extreeme cases 75/25 mix will remove any of them.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
I decided to give the VIVILON clear coat a try
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:57:52 AM by OldGray »

Offline Tazman

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 08:49:28 PM »
Good job !!
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline mdws1987

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 02:19:35 AM »
Looks like two different trucks.... Check out the fender wells and bumpers.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »
Different tires too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »
Yep - it does look like two different trucks - but it is the same one.  "Before" pic was the day I got it.  Since then new tires, plasti-dip on the  bumper and recently, the clear coat.  Also seat cover, window tint, and some other stuff.  No difference in fender wells.  Project is coming along nicely.

BEFORE SPRAY

AFTER SPRAY - (it was getting late as you can see in the BEFORE pic, so I did adjust the brightness of the photo up)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:48:11 PM by OldGray »

Offline mdws1987

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
I stand corrected. It looks great.

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 03:47:04 PM »
Thanks!  I was amazed at how the product brought out the color, but that is what it claimed it would do on their website so I just decided to "go for it".  Truth is, the finish is a little rough, as in a little "bumpy".  Not smooth AT ALL.  Not blaming the product , BUT I have never had this problem as bad with other spray jobs.

But... I just bought a rotary polisher, so I will post pics after I polish it up.

Another thing I like about this clear coat is that things just don't like to "stick" to it.  I don't really have to use soap to wash it.  If I simply rinse it, the dirt just kinda flows right off.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:48:54 PM by OldGray »

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 11:08:13 AM »
One final post.

As I mentioned before, the coating I sprayed (Vivilon Classic) came out REALLY lumpy.  (see below).  And I couldn't live with the way it looked.  So after a mere 21 hours of hand sanding and polishing I finally got it to look good.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:58:41 AM by OldGray »

Offline cvbear

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
Sounds like that was a lot of work, but it looks great now!
1984 SWB Silverado fleetside, 350 crate engine, 350 trans