Author Topic: Dome light wiring  (Read 20596 times)

Offline Marvan c10

Dome light wiring
« on: December 22, 2011, 06:26:38 PM »
 Does anyone know which wire on the headlight switch is for the dome light ? I've check the switch with a circuit tester and all the wires are hot. The O/W wire thats routed for domelight isn't on the back of the switch. I'm trying to start from there because under my dash looks like a spaghetti factory.
While we're speeding through life, we miss the chance to get a good look at the road we're on.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Dome light wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
Welcome to the site from California.

Dome lamp gets fused battery hot (orange wire) all the time.  The headlamp switch generally completes the dome lamp circuit to ground via the small gauge white wire.  Check out the wiring diagrams in the technical section of this website:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,11766.0.html

...I've check the switch with a circuit tester and all the wires are hot....

If (as you stated) the white wire probes hot (measures ~12 volts), the circuit is complete from battery, thru the fuse and bulb, all the way back to the headlamp switch.  Make sure the switch frame is properly grounded.  If everything else checks out, the hdlmp switch may have gone on vacation.

To help improve the accuracy and usefulness of responces, it's best to provide year, model and other information relating to your question, as well as the specific problem you're trying to solve.

Again, glad to have you on board!  :)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline muddpuppy01

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
should be the orange and white wire from the switch to the drive side door switch to the passenger side then to the light

Offline Marvan c10

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »

Sorry ! I have a 1980 C10 stepside 350/ 3 speed A/T.
While we're speeding through life, we miss the chance to get a good look at the road we're on.

Offline Marvan c10

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 08:59:53 PM »

Thanks guys within the replies I think I found my answer. Once again, you guys ROCK !

Offline Marvan c10

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »

Problem is fixed ! I found out for some reason there was no power running to the fusebox for that wire, so I just jump a wire from another hot plug. DOME LIGHT IS WORKING YEAH ! Thanks Guys

Offline bowdown916

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »
ahh.i have the same problem.. the orange wire that goes in the fuse box, its that on the first top/left spot?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Offline bowdown916

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:43:21 PM »

Offline bowdown916

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
Sorry.it looks white.but its orange with white..