Author Topic: Washer pump  (Read 4577 times)

Offline jaredts

Washer pump
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »
My '83 c10 has the wiper motor driven washer pump, and I'd like to get it going.  I know I could just buy an electric pump, but I already screwed up and bought the rebuild kit that just has the plastic valve bodies, or heads, whatever they're called (I feel committed now).  From internet searches I've found:
*wiper motor and washer have the negative switched
*There's a rubber bellows that commonly goes out.  They're expensive.
*Some kind of solenoid engages it to run off a cam or something?
I can't find diagrams or pictures or troubleshooting steps.  I'm sure I can figure it out but some info. would be nice if anyone has anything. 

Offline txchainsawgogi

Re: Washer pump
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:11 PM »
ive got it…

buy a reman'd one!

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:38 PM »
 8)

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:40:59 AM »
ive got it…

Is it something you can post so we can see it ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline audrima

• Frequent Member
Washer pump
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »
Take it apart and clean it good there are 2 springs careful with them. That is all I did to mine and it works great now.

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:42 AM »
Mine wasn't working at all on my '77, I took it apart cleaned up the electrical connections and greased the cam and now it works. You might have to turn the wipers on and flick the tab on the cam to make it work manually a few times, that's what I did. Make sure the little filter on the filler hose in the tank is clean too.

Offline jaredts

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »
Thanks.  I should have reported back after I worked on this a little over a week ago.  I took the cover off and verified that the solenoid did pull in the little tab that causes the reciprocating arm to pull on the ratchet wheel.  There was one spot in the wheel where the arm would occassionally miss the gear tooth, so I applied pressure with my finger to make it grab as it should, but I could never get it to pump, even after playing with this for quite some time.  I finally gave up and bought an electric pump and installed that.  $15 and 20 minutes later I had spray shooting over the cab and into the bed.  I adjusted the nozzles down and have a nice strong spray now.  As much as I wanted to keep the original washer pump, I concluded that it is a dinosaur piece of junk.