Author Topic: Site Store Radio  (Read 1626 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Site Store Radio
« on: April 10, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »
Has anyone purchased this radio from the site store, I live in a rural area and can hardly get in my favorite stations. I have to place my iphone in the tiny cubby-hole on the dash and stream. I want to listen the old fashioned way! Anyway, let me know how it works for you.

http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=7&Product_Code=RTRUSA-Zuma&Category_Code=RADIO

Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline SilverMiner

Re: Site Store Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »
I have not purchased that specific model from here, but I am a very happy RetroSound owner for over four years now. The unit has held up very well in cold and rough North Idaho conditions. I really like the features and the durability and have no qualms about recommending it. I sincerely hope that nobody ever cuts an original dash again because I think this is a perfectly acceptable solution even for serious hi-fi folk.

The only area where I'm uncertain about them is with regard to reception. I've been messing around with various antenna's attempting to improve the situation in an attempt to match the AM/FM reception of a factory Delco that I have in my other rig. Using one of those powered FM antennas has finally matched the original Delco, but nothing seems to work as well for AM. I've tried both the existing windshield antenna as well as an aftermarket fender mount. AM isn't of prime importance to me, but I'm frustrated that I can't at least match the performance of late 70's GM radios. I do suspect the problem is more antenna related than head unit related, but I'm really just guessing.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Site Store Radio
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 07:00:09 PM »
The difference between a analog and digital tuner is the issue.

Before they went out of style, digital FM Tuners really made leaps in performance, See Pioneer ARTS system.

Problem is, you cant fit the higher end electronics into a package that small, and the cost diff would be enormous.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Site Store Radio
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 10:03:18 PM »
Yeah, strange, when i first bought the truck it had a junk but modern radio in it, and i could get most stations somewhat clear. Then i installed an original replacement  Delco GM and now i struggle to get something in clear. However, when i go and visit my dad near the city, everything comes in crystal clear, even AM!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:05:02 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1