Author Topic: Can't get cargo lamp base removed  (Read 690 times)

Offline IdahoMan

• Registered Users
Can't get cargo lamp base removed
« on: October 25, 2023, 04:22:55 PM »
Hi, quick question: The chrome base of the cargo lamp abve the back window.. I can't get it off, the screws just spin in place.

What's behind there?
Any tips?

Thanls you,
IM

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Can't get cargo lamp base removed
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 06:22:19 PM »
Those were #10-24 well nuts, GM P/N 3876130.  The nuts fit into blind holes, meaning they are hidden in the space located between the cab outer skin and the interior roof panel.  IIRC (it's been several decades) - by removing the dome lamp you may be able to access the backside of the nuts with difficulty to hold them from spinning while an assistant backs the screws out.  However, I do not recall whether there is a third panel separating the interior and exterior panels.  But there is no line-of-sight access to the backside of the nuts.  By removing the dome lamp you will gain a clearer view of your strategy.  If push comes to shove you may need to Dremel the heads off of the screws, but be mindful of overheating and melting any plastic.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Scott91370

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 11:31:10 AM »
These are what bd is talking baout.  The long part goes into the cab then you put the chrome piece up there and screws go through it into the rubber well nut.

You may need to pull slightly on the housing while you turn the screw,  Soaking it with wd40 (or the like) may help but could also let the rubber spin against the cab.

Offline IdahoMan

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 01:09:10 PM »
Yup, you were exactly right.

I won't be doing that again. Any suggestions, like something other than those rubber well nuts?

Offline IdahoMan

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 09:19:31 PM »
Update.

For the record:  DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use rubber well nuts to attach the cargo light. It doesn't work, it's a disaster.. it spins in place and/or the rubber rips up and it comes out.

I bought some Jack Nuts at the hardware store, I'm going to try that. I research about it a little before trying. If anybody has anything to say before I proceed, please speak now. 48 hours.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:06:41 PM by IdahoMan »