Author Topic: 4L60E Installation  (Read 13252 times)

Offline HAULIN IT

4L60E Installation
« on: July 03, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »
The transmission is built, the computer/wiring installed & the TPS bracket/ actuator lever is installed. Will be installing the tranny this weekend. The tunning with a laptop will be a learning curve for sure, (What am I thinking? I can't even post a video without someone holding my hand) but should make for a nice set-up once it's sorted out. Here's a couple pictures as a teaser...more to follow.
 Here is the Vehicle Speed Sensor installed in the trans. case. I got the gear from JTR & the thread bung from a broken Bravada transfer case (Stewart, add that to my list of odd-ball vehicle parts) Lorne

Offline eventhorizon66

Re: 4L60E Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »
Cool, keep us posted.  What did you go with for the controller?

the thread bung from a broken Bravada transfer case (Stewart, add that to my list of odd-ball vehicle parts)

That's just another Olds parts.  Your rig is still a Chevroldsord.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:35:18 AM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
Event, I'm using a harness & controller made by Baumann Electronics. The jury is still out on it...it will take a little while to see if it's "The way to go". After some driving/testing & becoming more familiar with the program I'll post my findings. I'll also post a couple pictures of the TPS bracket & actuator arm I made, when I get a chance. Lorne   

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:27:11 AM »
 Here is the TPS actuator lever I made out of a part of the choke linkage & a piece of steel rod

Here is the TPS installed on the Q-jet

It took a little doing to get the controller "hooked up" to the laptop...lack of computer knowledge was the fault there ;), but with help from a couple friends/family members & Kevin @ Baumann for a couple minor things I was able to  drive the truck last night for the first time with the new tranny. It's kinda a struggle on my mind...A few hours here & there to get the "hardware" installed in the truck, a couple hours to swap the transmissions & then MANY hours looking at a computer screen trying this button & that with nothing happening. Oh Well, It's behind me now. The program/controller seems to be real slick, however it is still new to me & will take more time to get used to it & all of the features.
 I'll post a couple pictures of the controller & of the screen when I get a chance.
 In the 40-50 miles I drove it, the biggest thing I see is how just a few RPM's or MPH on the shift timing or clutch lock-up makes such a difference between "feeling right" or not...Can't beat it compared to trying to get that from a governor/springs in a valve body! I'll keep you posted...At this point thumbs up. Lorne 

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 11:07:27 AM »
Way cool.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »
Schweeeet. So you did this solely for the tuning ability over the 700R4 you had before? What did you do with that one? Wanna donate it to the cause for a Canadian trying to make his truck faster? :)
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:36:50 AM »
Sux, Yes, One of my best friends owns a repair garage that specializes in transmissions. He has got into some of the newer transmissions altering the torque management system, shift points, ect. while seeing this, I saw what I feel is going to be nice features. The way I have the non-E tranny set-up was to make it shift on it's own when left in Drive at full throttle & kinda split the track in Three parts, however I gave up when it sorta worked & 1st gear was a little harsh at part throttle. At one point I was carrying a bag of springs & several governors to the track...pan down, different spring, different governor & again, & again. I have no way to know at what RPM the engine would like me to shift it at for optimum performance...we are not at peak going across the line for sure, we are crossing the line about 4800.
 As to the donating the old one? It is a perfectly good tranny that made Two 12.30 passes (in 90* heat) Two weeks ago & I drove it to take it out. I guess I own it, but not really...See, it was in the truck when the friend that owns the shop GAVE me the truck when he lost interest in it...I had helped him put the engine/tranny ect. many years ago, ported the heads, ect. ect. After a bearing problem he lost interest, I paid the machine shop bill & became the owner of the truck. We have done allot of favors for each other over the last 20 years & he didn't want to see it sold or just rot.
 This new tranny, I bought the performace parts, but the core, kit & other related parts he just had "laying around", so I kinda own it...if it breaks, I'll buy hard parts if they are special, otherwise they will just "end up" in there & we'll fix it. So the old tranny's fate is unknown. If he said to me "I need one to build for a guy", I would think nothing of it & wouldn't feel he owes me a dime. If I was going to built something else & said "I'm going to put that tranny in..." He would most likely say "Let's take it apart, look around & freshen it up before you do." & it wouldn't cost me a dime. It's kinda like I lease whatever transmission I want for the cost of some of the parts I guess :) Over the years (4-5 from high school) I've aquired good relationships with several guys & we just allways "get along" & don't feel one "got over on the other"  Lorne   

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Those are awesome relationships to have, Lorne! That makes sense about the upgrade. It too drives me crazy how my TH350 wants to always upshift at somewhere between 3500-4000 at WOT and never downshifts above 2000 RPM. Yeah, I should get in there and play with the governor but it's just one more thing on the list to do  lol   I couldn't imagine trying to do that at the track between races! Hopefully it all works out well for you.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline HAULIN IT

Re: 4L60E Installation (UPDATE)
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
We went to the track over the weekend. Because the controller is using the output shaft speed to calculate RPM's, converter slip & the time it takes to actually shift after the command has been made, the RPM's can be off compared to what is posted on the computer screen. Baumann's suggestion I set the RPM's low (4300) for the first test pass. I had put a 5000 chip in the rev limiter. My wife made a clean pass...no problems & no hitting the limiter, but off of the normal ET (12.63). After the pass, I checked the play-back on the tach & adjusted the RPM's accordingly & put in a 5500 chip...12.41. Back for another tune & A 5700 chip...12.31, shifting at 5500, 5500 & crossing at 5000, I left it this way due to being in eliminations at this point. Everything is good & Baumann's tech has been very good... I had a problem with the program at the track (my lack of computer knowledge again :'() Saturday morning, Greg helped me through it, all is good! It will be interesting to see what effects altering the shift points 1-2 & 2-3 make on the ET...time will tell. Lorne    
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:54:01 PM by HAULIN IT »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 02:45:08 PM »
Thanks for posting this here!

Offline comp

• Registered Users
  • 76-77-78
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »
sorry,,off topic do you have two fuel linesY Y'd into the Q-jet ????

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 12:18:15 AM »
(Comp, I betcha one of em is a return line to the tank.) The fuel delivery volume gets too high for the Q-jet to use all that is sent to it, so some gas has to have a way to get back to the tank.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:21:07 AM by DnStClr »
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline comp

• Registered Users
  • 76-77-78
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 02:06:05 AM »
(Comp, I betcha one of em is a return line to the tank.) The fuel delivery volume gets too high for the Q-jet to use all that is sent to it, so some gas has to have a way to get back to the tank.

true Q-jets don't like a lot of pressure