Author Topic: AC box clean-up  (Read 5324 times)

Offline TxFiddler

• Registered Users
AC box clean-up
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:36:28 PM »
I managed to get all the "crud" off the ac box.  Since the big block is still at the builder, I've been working on the frame, cab forward, and have cleaned and repainted the firewall.  I know, post pics, I have em but just need to resize em.  Anyhow, the ac box is the original grayish color.  Looking for suggestions as to what to do with it to make it look sharp.  Bedliner, plain ol' black or what. 
Thanks,
Fidd
80 C10 2wd / 427 BigBlock / 700R4 / 3:42 Eaton Posi LSD / 770 cfm Holley Street Avenger / Doug's Headers / MSD ProBillet Distributor / Champion 3 row Radiator

Offline 1980c10

Re: AC box clean-up
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:04:53 PM »
what did you use to get the "crud" off the a/c box?
I will be doing the same with mine shortly along with an entire drivetrain swap.
So far i am planning on painting the firewall, inner fenders etc with gloss black and some other items such as the blower box (no a/c) with a satin black, kind of a hidden in plain sight theory.

Offline TxFiddler

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »
Just plain ol' elbow grease worked for me.  I have the box apart and you really can't use anything too abrasive due to the nature of the material.  For the toughest spots, a little careful work with a soft wire wheel and a hand drill worked.  Also, dish soap and water.  i like the "hidden in plain sight" theory.  Might have to roll with that myself.
Thanks.
80 C10 2wd / 427 BigBlock / 700R4 / 3:42 Eaton Posi LSD / 770 cfm Holley Street Avenger / Doug's Headers / MSD ProBillet Distributor / Champion 3 row Radiator

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:25:54 PM »
It depends on how the condition of your box, some years seem to "breakdown" & get furry like, others look basically new many years later.
 If you want to keep the Gray color & your box is in good condition...you can rub & buff it with regular paint rubbing compound. If it is marked up or starting to flake, you can scuff it with a Gray scuff pad, spray it with plastic adhesion promoter & then paint it with a low-med. gloss Gray used for bumper /trim accents. SEM & other companies makes these in spray cans & can look well when completed. New A/C  Harrison decals are available through several vender's to complete the job.
 If the box is decaying or gouged, it can be be repaired using regular plastic repair methods, even high build primer can be used after adhesion promoter if your looking for smooth surface to paint the same as the firewall if doing it the body color or something like that. Hope this helps, Lorne