Author Topic: Rehabbing the doors. OCD strikes.  (Read 3095 times)

Offline ThisGuy

Rehabbing the doors. OCD strikes.
« on: September 02, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »
You gotta be kidding  >:(

Just had an entire post with a bunch of pictures of my project to bring my newly painted doors back to life and as I was switching back to paste the last photo the page reloaded and lost the post. Le sigh.

Anyways, this will be the shortened and condensed version. I have two 76 K10's, one has a cab/front clip that's had the body work and paint done. The doors had their internal components intact but the handles/latches were a little janky and this truck only came with two driver side vent windows instead of one for each side. This caused me to start looking for parts trucks to grab some goodies from. My other k10 needed a complete bed and I found a guy parting out a good looking 79 in great shape, minus the front end. I snagged up his bed, both doors and a ton of interior goodies. This truck was complete before I got ahold of it  ::)

Stripped all the goodies out of the donor doors as well as the doors from my new paint truck to compare/contrast and select the best parts to go back into the new paint doors. This included door latch mechanisms, vent windows, window mechanisms etc.

I thought it would be a great idea to buy some wire wheels to glean off the fibers from the last 40 years. All this did was trigger my OCD and make me clean up parts way more than they need to be. Door latch internals, vent window track, window roller track (x4) They'll never be seen. It's a sickness. Like my part hoarding. But let's not talk about it.

So I removed the window crank mechanisms from both the donor doors and the new paint good doors to play the standard compare and contrast game to choose the best two to go back into the mothership. Removing one from the donor doors caused the tension spring to pop off- didn't think it mattered. I then got the ones from the good doors and decided in my infinite wisdom to remove the same spring on purpose to clean it up. I realized after putting it back on that its not as tight as the ones I hadn't taken off. This is a problem because it took all my might to get it here. HOW DO I GET IT AS TIGHT AS IT SHOULD BE?? There's not much resistance when rolling the window on these compared to the ones still tight from the factory. As you can see, the ones on the left are looser noticeably compared to those on the right.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:31:32 PM by ThisGuy »