Author Topic: 1990 Jimmy floor replacement  (Read 22238 times)

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
1990 Jimmy floor replacement
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:35:48 PM »
Started working on the floors the other day, i got the seats, the center console, the carpet, the plastic molding, the doors, the sound deadening all out of the jimmy in the last 2 weekends.  I tend to get side tracked easily so i worked on the floors for alittle while then i fiddled around with the gas tank again then the floors for awhile then fiddled with the engine for awhile.  i still need to get the subframe unbolted but i did my back and shoulders in today torquing on them so i will put alittle PB blaster on them and leave them until next weekend.  here is a load of pictures of the floors.  i dont have an ETA on the floors, i hope to get the gas tank sorted first before i get the floors.  i have been thinking of keeping it on the cheap and getting some 16 gauge steel and making my own custom floors but i dont really have the fab skills or tools to do a custom floor job. 

drivers side front floor, probably need to change the kick panel also

drivers side looking into the cargo area, pretty much all shot

passenger side looking into cargo area.  nice view of the BFG's

drivers side looking from the passenger side. 

underside of the passenger side rocker panel.  looks like he used some sort of foam thing which i bet is probably flammable.

more of the rocker panel on the passenger side

passenger side floor looking down

Sutton

Offline dumbucket1

• Too Many Trucks
  • Coal Hauler
Re: 1990 Jimmy floor replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:40:18 PM »
looks like you have a project! My 84 blazer is not quite as bad as yours but has all the similar rust
I would imagine your front seatbelts are no longer attached to the pillar? I pretty well just had to rebuild that with flat sheet metal. drilled a hole in it and welded a nut on the back for the seatbelt bolt. Then welded it all in place. Jeremy
Chevy and GMC trucks ranging from 1973 to 2007

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:19 AM »
yeah it does seem like quite the project, i dont know if i will get it all done or not i am hoping i wont give up on it.  i bought it out of minneapolis and they love to put the road salt down thick.  i would love to follow what that guy did on K5 colorado and put a completely custom diamond tuck foor in.  i also need to put a new rear pan in the back.

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:57:53 PM »
i am thinking i am going to take the jimmy down to the frame and then start putting it back together.  i would like to get the frame stripped and powder coated but would rather do it cheaply.  how much easier would it be to get the floors in if it was off the frame?

Sutton

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:08:22 PM »
I would fix the floors ON the frame then take it apart.

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:54:35 PM »
Yep, the capt. is right. With no support, it would be easy to "fix" it all warped and skewed. Leave it bolted to the frame.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »
wouldnt i have to cut around the frame and supports and xfer case and the guts underneath if i leave it on the frame?  the supports are shot on it also.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 03:28:51 PM »
Once you start cutting the floor out, you need to brace the inner structure with some tubing or angle or something. 

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »
still working on the tear down of the jimmy, today i got the front fenders, hood, grille, headlight bezels and cut alittle bit out of the floor.  i went to lowes and looked at some sheet metal pieces but holy cow that stuff is expensive, i thought it would be cheaper then the floor pans but i dont think so.  i need to replace the rockers on it and was wondering what people knew about the rock sliders that i hear about on the K5 forums.  i dont know how nice it would look, i have seen a few that were nice and few that were blah.  has anyone replaced the rockers on a jimmy body and if so how difficult was it?  could i cut the rockers out at the same time i cut the floor out without the body braced?

Sutton

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »
man were is the pics of the tear down
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »
i got some pictures after i was done today i'll try to upload them.  i never remember to grab my camera when i am working on it then remember after i go into the apartment.

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »
i got some pictures after i was done today i'll try to upload them.  i never remember to grab my camera when i am working on it then remember after i go into the apartment.
cool
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 11:44:30 PM »
hey chris, i am looking at buying them replacement floor pans from you but could you tell me what shipping would be for the left and right side, the parts that go under the seat to 58103 fargo nd.  do they come pre-drilled for the seats and center console?  and do they come with any of the bolts to mount to the supports?

thanks
Sutton

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
If you add it to the basket it will calculate it for you...  I will send you an estimate in a PM...

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 11:36:22 AM »
Good luck on the repairs - it really looks like a job.  Please post pics of the repair.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed