Author Topic: 1990 Jimmy floor replacement  (Read 22236 times)

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
Re: 1990 Jimmy floor replacement
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 09:54:35 AM »
i'm contemplating how i am going to weld them in.  i live in an apartment building so my garage is on the same circuit as everyone else.  my neighbor said he had lots of problems running an air compressor since it kept throwing the breaker.  there is a united rentals in town that i think rents welders and generators but i have no clue how much that would cost me.  i found a used welder for a good price but i dont want to buy it if i cant use it in my apartment.  heck even my 10 amp dewalt grinder dims the lights in the garage when its running.

Sutton

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 09:32:30 AM »
got my new gas tank delivered yesterday hopefully i can get it in this weekend.  the tank has a silver coating on it right now but do you guys think i should put something on it before i install it such as chassis saver or por 15?  also should i put that anti squeek sticky foam stuff on it or is that not needed?  i am also putting on 1 new strap since one was shot but the other one was still good.  should i put anything between the strap and the tank or just leave it metal on metal?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:17 AM »
You will probably have to sand the tank to get the POR to stick.  Anti foam stick stuff, you lost me there...
I put stuff between mine, but some people haven't....

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
theres an "anti squeak kit" its a a sticky sided foam material strip that you put on the sides of the tank and between the straps and the tank.  i think i will bypass the anti squeak kit though, could probably buy the same thing at a crafts store for a few cents. 

would the coating on the tank be good as por15 or rust bullet? 

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »
Oh, you can probably find some tar type paper from somewhere, that is what mine came with.

I don't know where the tank came from, but alot of them are glavanized.  Painting them black will keep alot of heat in them...

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
havent worked on the floors today but i did get my gas tank installed, havent put the skid plate back on since i want to make sure it works before i do that.  hopefully i can get some work done on the floors here sometime this weekend but not holding out for it, still havent bought the new floors or rockers yet so not too anxious to start cutting it up without mocking the new floors in first.

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 11:42:07 PM »
Chris will the store be online tomorrow?  My stimulus band-aid is burning a hole in my pocket and I need to get them floors in this summer before college starts back up. 

Sutton

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 06:44:16 PM »
Yes, I opened the store back up Monday.

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »
chris do you happen to know what gauge steel the floor panels are that you sell?

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 04:21:25 PM »

Offline dumbucket1

• Too Many Trucks
  • Coal Hauler
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 01:45:03 AM »
Sutton, have you worked on the Jimmy lately? Im gonna start doing a few patches to my blazer here real soon.
Chevy and GMC trucks ranging from 1973 to 2007

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »
i got the floor all cut out just trying to find a welder now.  i was going to rent one but all they had were 220v, i dont have a 220 in my garage.  i was thinking about renting the welder and a generator but i need to find some time to be able to get it done.  my luck i would rent them and then have to go to work or something would come up, plus i am trying to save some money up for a vacation before school starts again.  i've been working on it on and off, been really hot here lately in north dakota and i hate being in the garage when its 95 outside.

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »
For a fuel tank I'd be a little hesitant to paint it black, however, lot of guys that ride inline 4 bikes paint the engines flat black because it DRASTICALLY improves cooling..
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »
over the past few weeks i have got the floors all cut out.  ran into some problems though, the smaller body supports that run across the floor were rotting beyond repair (one fell off when i used it to balance myself alittle while cutting) so now i need to try to fab something up for that. a friend from work is going to let me borrow a 110v welder to see how well it works in my garage, if so i'll be using that to get my floor in.  still need to cut up the sheet metal i bought to make it fit in there but atleast there is some light at the end of the tunnel.  life is too hectic to work on it much, but hope i can get it all done before the snow flies but i doubt it.