Author Topic: Carb issue? Fuel issue? Help  (Read 3359 times)

Offline warwagon85

Carb issue? Fuel issue? Help
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:21:24 PM »
I have an 85 C-10 short bed.  327 block and 400 heads, edelbrock intake and stock Rochester carb, open air cleaner, and no emmisions stuff hooked to carb.  Fires up no problem, cruises around town at light throttle no problem.  As soon as I have to get on the throttle it falls flat on its face unless I back off the throttle.  On the way to work I have to drive up a mountain everyday and I can barely do past 35-40 mph, bucking and hesitating like its not getting any fuel with the throttle no more than a quarter of the way.  I have to feather the accelerator on and off to keep it going.  I've had couple of the guys at my shop play with the choke adjustments and its help a little but returns back to same problem.    Any suggestions?  Carb/choke problem? timing problem? Vacuum ?

Offline jg1977c20

• Registered Users
Re: Carb issue? Fuel issue? Help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »
theres is a rod that goes to the secondaries to prevent them from opening too soon did you remove this by chance ? some people do thinking they will get a better response but quite the opposite you'll get  the quadra bog
1977 c20 cheyenne camper special 8200gvw

Offline toddbgky

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:52:52 PM »
It definitely sounds like a fuel starvation problem to me...have you inspected the fuel filter element behind the inlet fitting of the carb?

Offline ScottD

• 1985 C-10
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »
Read my recent post on engine issues forum.  I had very similar problems and was running the original Quadrajet on my 85 C10.  I found a place that sells rebuilts (National Caburetor) and purchased one for $175.  Night and day difference.  Truck runs so well and has a lot more power than I ever thought it would.  I replaced all the vacuum lines at the same time, but its still about a 20 minute job and the best $175 you'll spend.

Offline enaberif

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »
Last time the carb was rebuilt? You'd be surprised at how much good this does.

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 03:10:17 PM »
That's also the response you will get if the distributor was not properly clamped and rotated retarded.

Check the timing.  Probably ought to be running 12-16* BTDC.

Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline Takilma

• Newbie-
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »
toddbgky might have nailed it, I had a 65 Malibu wagon many years back that suddenly wouldn't go up even the little slope of a freeway interchange, but it ran fine on the level. Pulled the fuel filter (inline) and couldn't even blow through it. It was packed with a fine powder residue (old lead?) that got sucked off the tank bottom. If your carb has the sintered bronze filter at the fuel inlet, those can plug pretty bad, might be cheaper than spending a bunch of $$$ on carb and such...
Let us all know what you found.