Author Topic: Electrical Shorts  (Read 2833 times)

Offline DDunson

Electrical Shorts
« on: November 06, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »
I have repainted my '86. I am having wiring trouble.......I have reground all my grounds from front to back. Added additional body to frame grounds. I am loosing all my gauges when I depress the brake pedal and also when I turn on the headlights. Any wiring guru out there ever experienced this?

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: Electrical Shorts
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
There is a ground that isnt hooked up properly. You will need to check them again and make sure there is a good ground.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 08:04:14 PM »
     Just by chance, did you check to make sure when you depress your brake your not catching a wire or the top is ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline DDunson

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 08:21:38 PM »
I have gone back and removed paint and star washered all the grounds. Added ground straps: Core support to frame, added another cab to frame, and grounded the bed to frame via ground strap. I removed the tail light brackets and removed paint and star washered the bolts to make sure my tail lights are grounded to the bed. Found a broken ground wire under the dash that fixed my gauge problem. Tail light problem still persists. Any clues?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:05:45 AM »
     I would check out the brake actuator switch that your brake pedal activates, since you only have problems with your brakes now.....
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom