Author Topic: H.I.D. headlights  (Read 3677 times)

Offline redneckstyle1989

H.I.D. headlights
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:37:31 AM »
just wondering if it was possible to install and hid conversion kit in a 85 chev? I have my doubts but it was just a thought that crossed my mind n was wondering if anyone else had the same thought

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: H.I.D. headlights
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:08:14 AM »
Welcome to the site from California!  When you get a chance, drop by the Welcome section and introduce yourself, so everyone can say, "Hello!"

Here are some threads related to your query...
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline sphinx

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »
You can buy the headlight housings that use the replaceable modern bulbs and put hid bulbs in instead of holagen bulbs.  If you have a 4 light system you may only want to do the low beams as the high beams don't seem to act right switching them from low to high often - a At least that is my experience with other vehicles that I added hid to.  Also, the aiming of the hids can be a problem on some vehicles as the hid filament (arc tube) sits at a different angle than the filament in a holagen bulb.  I do like the look of hid as long as its the bright white (5000k to 7500k) and not the 10000k or 14000k ultra blue and violet ones.  I use the 10000k and 14000k arc lamps in my saltwater aquarams and they are just not designed to provide safe driving light for on road use.  I would like to add hid to my 76 with the single round head lights when I get that far in my rebiuld. 
Just my two cents

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 11:58:48 PM »
to add what sphinxs said i had hids on my 04 impala lows only. when you would switch to high and drive for a bit, then switch back to low (hid) because oncoming traffic. they would be dim because they cooled down they have to warm up. granted this only takes 5 or so seconds but by time they warm up that car would pass and you would be back on high. in the meantime your eyes cant see anything when they are warming up because you dont have no lights and the oncoming car is blinding you. one burnt out, was under warranty but hatted them so much i went and got the $40 bulbs and was done with the hids. i would get some good housings then get some $40 bulbs then get the relay kit and have a nice set of "modern" headlights. on a side note i think i had 6000k not white but not blue, they where bright didnt need high beams but oncoming traffic didnt like them lol.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »
to add what sphinxs said i had hids on my 04 impala lows only. when you would switch to high and drive for a bit, then switch back to low (hid) because oncoming traffic. they would be dim because they cooled down they have to warm up. granted this only takes 5 or so seconds but by time they warm up that car would pass and you would be back on high. in the meantime your eyes cant see anything when they are warming up because you dont have no lights and the oncoming car is blinding you. one burnt out, was under warranty but hatted them so much i went and got the $40 bulbs and was done with the hids. i would get some good housings then get some $40 bulbs then get the relay kit and have a nice set of "modern" headlights. on a side note i think i had 6000k not white but not blue, they where bright didnt need high beams but oncoming traffic didnt like them lol.

Agreed.  I got a "H4 9003 P43t relay harness" (about a fifth of the way down this page: http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm), and used "Philips 9003 XPS2 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb" from Amazon in Hella HL79562 baskets from Quadratec.  That's for my '78 round-eye, but the relay kit and bulbs would work and similar rectangular baskets are available.  The relay kit alone did wonders for the stock bulbs.
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline redneckstyle1989

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:42:03 AM »
thanks for all the helpful ideas. I really appreciate it