Author Topic: hooker header flange picture  (Read 4463 times)

Offline jo3y1nf4nt3

• '86 swb....since high school 1996, '66 nova SS HT
hooker header flange picture
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:34:43 PM »
does/might anyone have a picture of some hooker header flanges?  i know they all are privy to leak, but mine seem to be flush, with no raised lip, at the top of the flange exhaust opening.  on the bottom, there is a slight raised area for sealing, but the top, again, is flush to the flange plate.  when i took off the headers, i noticed black residue only on the topside. shouldn't the opening be ALL raised for sealing correctly?  thanks....
jo3y in baytizzle (baytown y'all!)
"if only i could soothe my hunger by rubbing my belly" - diogenes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: hooker header flange picture
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:27:53 PM »
Are you talking about where they mate with the head or at the collector? What engine do you have? Are you running the correct gaskets? There are several different header gasket sizes.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline jo3y1nf4nt3

• '86 swb....since high school 1996, '66 nova SS HT
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:15:42 AM »
at the collector, upon further exam., the center ports (of the headers, where the tubes meet the flange at the head mating side) they seem to have a raised lip for sealing.  the ends, have, on the bottom side (oilpan side) a raised surface, and the top side are veryyyy close to being flush with the flange, with hardly any raised surface. 

my question, is this normal?  if so, then i'm going to have it sandblasted and coated and just buy some good sealing gaskets...if not, i already called hooker and they said they can't do anything since they're wwwwaaaaayyyyy past return policy.  i've never ground down the surface sealing area, and am not sure how they came to be this way.  i have an '84 305 h.o. (l69) motor with stock heads.  i did pocket port and quasi-polish the exhaust ports on the heads...i'm not sure to call them square ports or round ports...i know they're always uneven though.  thanks for any help and here, i have a pic...

hope it helps you help me!!! lol.
jo3y in baytizzle (baytown y'all!)
"if only i could soothe my hunger by rubbing my belly" - diogenes

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »
They come that way. (can't read what you wrote on the pic...)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:28 AM »
Many headers are just machined down after they're welded. If you are using the correct gaskets and they aren't sealing up too well you can try to double them up
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 86 chevy silverado

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »
The stock steel laminate gaskets in an overhall gasket kits always worked best for me. Next to no header leaks as far back as I've been using them. (On stock or mild sm blks)