Author Topic: 87 suburban 4 speed stick BAD GAS MILAGE???  (Read 2884 times)

Offline wpr54

87 suburban 4 speed stick BAD GAS MILAGE???
« on: April 03, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »
I own a striped down base 3/4 ton suburban with a stick grany gear 4 speed 4.11 . This truck has  zero options just  4x4 no ac. I gutted out the back seats so I can use it to run sheet rock to mt job sights etc...  
I love this truck for all it does Hoever it drinks way too much gas. I drive this truck empty and it gets only about 5 miles to the gal. I owned Big Block chevy cars with 4 speeds and if you drive them easy you still got 14 mpg from them. Here I have a fine old truck that I drive very easy never floor it and up shift most of the time, This truck Has a TBI and when I look down is is seems like its sprying way too much gas in it. I am thinking of just droping in an old  2v 283 so I can ajust it and keep it lean.  I can see if this was a 454 with all the options , auto,ac full seating and I drove it hard . But I am just babying this truck and its sucking way too much gas. Bill

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 87 suburban 4 speed stick BAD GAS MILAGE???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
Best advice...look at your datastream on a scan tool. what's your fuel integrator and block learn? A lean signal from your 02 will increase injector pulse width. An incorrect engine coolant temp can do the same. Tune up? Is the ignition timing set correct? Is the air filter dirty?  

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10