Author Topic: Need some help identifying this part  (Read 4311 times)

Offline augustdiesel

Need some help identifying this part
« on: May 18, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
New here to the forum and need some help. I got this tire carrier off a late 70s k5, and was told it came with a jerry can mount. The metal strap fits, but seems like there i.e. either a piece missing, like a base, or this strap is meant for something else. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance - Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Need some help identifying this part
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 08:33:08 PM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:03:37 AM »
two things that come to mind

one is ive never seen one OEM, doesnt mean it never happened but ive never seen one

two that looks homemade, maybe a different type of can was used?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline blazer74

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »
I don’t know about the missing parts in question but how does that spare hanging off the hitch work out. Always wondered if they were stable.

Offline augustdiesel

Need some help identifying this part
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 01:07:47 PM »
I don’t know about the missing parts in question but how does that spare hanging off the hitch work out. Always wondered if they were stable.

So that’s an interesting story. The whole reason why I got the swing out carrier was to have a place to mount my spare. Just as soon as I got it mounted, it was obvious the swing out wasn’t strong enough, so I ditched that idea. The swing out is now a glorified hi lift jack and jerry can carrier.

The spare takes up so much space inside, and I needed to maximize interior space. So I came up with this drop-down hitch-mounted tire carrier. You’re right, it wobbles around quite a bit considering only a hitch pin is holding it in the upright position. So I added these retractable ratchet straps, designed to hold a boat on its trailer. All the straps do is keep it from wobbling. They don’t hold it upright.

Sure, it’s not the prettiest looking contraption, and I don’t know how well it would hold up on the trail, but this truck is a long way from being trail ready, and I needed an inexpensive but sturdy way to mount my spare on the exterior. So this is what I same up with for the time being.

Eventually I plan on building a bumper/carrier combo, but this will do for now.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:11:05 PM by augustdiesel »

Offline augustdiesel

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »
two things that come to mind

one is ive never seen one OEM, doesnt mean it never happened but ive never seen one

two that looks homemade, maybe a different type of can was used?

If it’s homemade then I suppose it’d be alright to just cut it off and replace with an appropriate mount.

Offline blazer74

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »
Yes they do take up a lot of room.

You could add 2 side bars off the vertical bar and use the upper inner bumper bolt holes for securing and design some sort of quick release latches in place of the  bolts on each side to hold and still be able to lower the whole deal with your existing set up.

That is my intention for my 74 K5 except my plan was to come off each side of the receiver hitch with tabs welded and bushing assemblies for pivots giving double mount points.
With the right height for the tire mounting can keep the factory license plate location.

Could also contour the truck lines a little tighter.

I personally don’t want a monster tire carrying bumper.
Keeping to the factory look.

That factory style tire carrier is also valuable these days. Hard to come by.

Offline blazer74

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:10:17 PM »
Something like this except using the receiver tube for attach and retaining the factory bumper.

Offline augustdiesel

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 06:28:10 AM »
That’s not a bad idea. I am sure I’ll make adjustments as it gets use. I already know I want to move the ratchets in closer to the hitch. Haven’t even driven the truck with it yet as I have been busy with other projects: replaced/relocated/rewired batteries, replaced oil cooler hoses, replaced hydroboost hoses and power steering pump, now working on replacing all brake lines proportion valve and master cylinder as well as convert to disc brakes in the rear.

I know I won’t be keeping the stock bumpers, as they are pretty well rust damaged and need to be replaced. Whatever I end up building, I want to be as low profile as possible.

Offline dvdswan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 08:45:46 PM »
Old jerry cans had a lip on the bottom of the that would fit into the groove that's there, like a lip catch.  Take a look at the video.  So its just a guess why it doesn't fit properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ywY0tQx4I
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:47:52 PM by dvdswan »

Offline augustdiesel

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »
Old jerry cans had a lip on the bottom of the that would fit into the groove that's there, like a lip catch.  Take a look at the video.  So its just a guess why it doesn't fit properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ywY0tQx4I

So I picked up a jerry can from 1969 and you're right about the lip, it definitely fits in there like it is suppose to. But something still seems to be missing. Because the can is still just loose in there. Need to clean the can up, but there's got to be parts missing to the carrier because it just doesn't seem to me like it should be this loose...

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 06:25:35 AM »
The jerry-can carriers I had on military vehicles had a flat oval-shaped base with a lip, and it was a little bigger than the can bottom.  Most also had a flat vertical  back support so that the can was held off the vehicle about an inch.  You could lift up the can and set it on the base, and it did not move.  The strap only served to keep the can on the base, and the stability came from the support under it. 

You could probably add something similar to your carrier.  This is one version of the military style carrier. https://www.ebay.com/p/Jerry-Gas-Can-Holder-Mount-W-strap-HMMWV-Jeep-M939-M819-CUCV-M35a2-Military/1695785621?iid=222287328526&chn=ps

Bruce
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:27:33 AM by 75gmck25 »