Author Topic: Pics of work updated 11-14-10.  (Read 46291 times)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pics of work. Updated new pics 11-14-10
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2010, 08:39:13 AM »
Some projects current, and over the last few weeks.
What happens when a valve seat gives it up in an NTC 855 Cummins. Did two new pistons, on new head, all three head gaskets.

Shiny new piston:

One of our customers is the north east rep sales for Brigs and Straton. He brought us a couple engines that had been dropped in shipping. Going to use them to build a couple monster wood splitters. Had to weld up the cases.

One of our custmoers traded his Sterling in for a real truck. We are swapping the body, and loader over to the new truck. We are switching the loader to behind the cab on the new truck too.
Old truck:

New truck:

Getting ready to lift it off:

Pulling the old one out from under it:

Loader is sitting on the new truck now. We still have to do a bunch of repair work on the body, then it can get set on too. Lots of wiring, and hose hook up this week  well!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:43:13 AM by Blazin »
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
Re: Pics of work updated 11-14-10.
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2010, 03:47:20 PM »
We have Pete's and Sterlings never had any problems with the Sterlings  and we have an 06 Pete with 350k kms that is got rust coming through on the cab corners all ready and are trucks are kept clean, hand washed every weekend and rinsed off of every couple days depending on how dirty/salty they are. Had many sterlings/fords in the last 20 years never had a rust problem and they usually get about a million kms before they are traded. Only issue with our sterling is a weak mercedes motor.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
We have several customers that have sterlings and every one of them the dash is breaking apart. One of them the entire fuse panel is held up behind the cover with zip ties, and the fuse panel cover has sheet rock screws though it into whats left of the dash. We are constantly replacing Head light switches, directional switches, window switches, door latches, handles, hood hinges etc. The truck we are taking the loader off we had to space the front bumper out so we could shim the nose out as it rubbed through the power steering cooler. When it was only a few weeks old I had to elongate the holes in the filler between the door and the nose as the door was rubbing against it, and it was as far forward as it could go! As far as working on them they are not user friendly. You have to take the whole head liner down to swap an air horn. To reach in under the cab you have to remove the rocker panel covers. The bolts are always a bear, and end up breaking off in the spring clip. As far as parts go! For the pre emission trucks, theentire exhaust from the turbo to the stack tip for a Pete or Kenworth runs around $1,000 give or take a couple hundred. For the Sterling just the pipes from the turbo to the flex that goes into the stack is around $1,700 or so. These guys all say. Oh I saved $10,000 buying the sterling, yeah well you make it up the first couple years of owning one when you have to buy parts for it. Head light switch is identical to a Ford Taurus. Car parts have no place in a heavy truck. The frames are lighter less crossmembers. The motor is about a quarter of the way into the cab, less foot room, and a huge pain to work on in under the dash, from inside the cab!
 They stopped making them what does that tell you?
The truck he is trading in had a 550 Cat. The Pete has a Pacar. The other 2 Sterlings in the pics have Detroit's.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »
We have never had any major problems with Sterling's, but i wouldn't recommend a Mercedes to anyone. Got nothing to complain about a cat or cummins

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2010, 11:00:53 PM »
Well thats why they are called opinions. As far as I am concerened its like comparing a F350 4x4 with a big block, to a C 10 with a inline 6.
The C 10 is the better truck!  ;D

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2010, 02:41:43 PM »
Well, I cant disagree when you put it like that!

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »
Lets get some updates from newer members!

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2011, 07:33:07 AM »
And or older memebers too.
 ;D

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »
This is all my day consists of. Im a billing admin at a family doctors office. I multi task these 2 computers all day long. Entering a lot of billing information and sending out letters and bills to patients and insurances. And the monater and ipod are musts while working.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »
And or older memebers too.
 ;D

Then you should have already posted here!! haha. At least I didnt say younger members!

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »
I started the topic, I think that counts!  lol

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »
Brand New 2011 Stargate End dump. My grandpa took this pic I thought it was pretty cool for a cheap camera and an inexperienced operator.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »
Very shiny!!! End dump meaning a live floor?

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
no, no live floor just end dump opposed to bottom dump (hopper)