Author Topic: Head gasket repair  (Read 1345 times)

Offline three8six

• Frequent Member
Head gasket repair
« on: April 04, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »
I am having a problem with my 99 buick century 3.1L. I do not feel comfortable with trying to replace the head gasket and was curious as to what you guys would think the cost would be? Or for you guys with shops what a general estimate would be? Im just debating on keeping the car or maybe not keeping it depending on cost.  Thanks and Im sorry its not about my C10 but I dont really have an idea of what it would cost.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Head gasket repair
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:16:14 PM »
This is actually a fairly easy engine to do head gaskets on. You will want to first find out what failed and why so you don't have a repeat fail. Things you will need:

Coolant, oil, oil filter, spark plugs, RTV, head set, head bolts, Change the oil pump drive seal, O2 sensor if it was pumping into the exhaust, etc.

You're looking at about 15 hours labor + or - depending on whether the heads need to be resurfaced or replaced etc.

Bare bones $300 parts + $1350 labor = $1650 + tax. If you can find a reputable guy to do it on the side it should cut the labor in half.

Now why do you think you need headgaskets?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline DustyRusty

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
I concur w/ VileZambonie's question regarding the need for head gaskets.

That said, prices will vary greatly by location.  Up here I paid $1800 to have both head gaskets replaced on a V-8 truck I used to own a few years ago.  Both heads had to be resurfaced.  The price included labor.

I would suggest you call or visit 3 machine or repair shops in your area and ask for an estimate:  1) get one price for just checking/resurfacing the heads by the machine shop (you do the labor); and 2) get another price for complete repair done by a shop where they do all the tear down and reassembly and sub out any headwork.

In this time of tight budgets, you need to do a lot of calling/driving/walking around for best prices.

Rusty
1975 K-10 SWB Fleetside - 350/SM465/NP205/D44F 12-boltR, 3.73 gears.  Original owner.
Customized by rust.

Offline three8six

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »
I see water leaking out of it is why I think I need it.