Author Topic: engine tapping noise  (Read 10874 times)

87 texas deluxe

engine tapping noise
« on: December 30, 2001, 11:28:00 PM »
I am a proud owner of an 87 costume duluxe sporting a 350 tbi 3/4 ton.  I've owned it for a month an a half.
I put a 40 wieght oil in a region that averages tempetures ranging from mid 40's to 90's during winter.
I have had no previous problems till recently.
I am wondering what could have cost a sudden tapping noise comming from my block.  me and my wife think it may be the lifters due to the change in oil weight.
I'm planning to change the oil back to 10w30 but I was also told that engine build up could accumulate at the bottom pan of engine.  since i plan to change the oil and not the filter, would it be wise to take the pan off to clean it? and if so, can I leave the existing oil filter for next oil change?
Do trucks like mine have a filter in the oil pan? I would appreciate your input.  Happy new year to you all.

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
Re: engine tapping noise
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2001, 12:26:00 PM »
87, that oil sonds too thick, I would go 10-30 and see what happens.  When you change the oil, change the filter as well...for peace of mind.  As far as removing the pan, I wouldn't bother...and no, your engine does not have a filter in the pan either.  Happy new year too!

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

87 texas deluxe

thanx freind
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2002, 11:24:00 AM »
thanx big block

Creeper

Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2002, 01:03:00 PM »
If the oil weight does not change anything, you can also check your heat riser valve. Sometimes they tend to wear and start to rattle. Or possibly a exhaust leak. As a rule of thumb, always change your filter with oil, you would be amazed at the amount of debris that gets trapped in a short time. Good luck.

Nova

engine tapping
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2002, 01:09:00 PM »
Like creeper said, it could be the heat riser valve. Mine started a few months ago. It is a pretty annoying sound.

I also agree about changing the filter. I do my oil and filter quite often.

I was talking to a friend on msn a few months ago. He was bragging that he spent close to $20(canadian) on the oil for his ford, it was something that is supposed to last over 5000k. I asked him how much the filter cost, and he told me he didn't bother doing the filter. I told him that he was a moron. I said it was really bright to contaminate that 20 dollars worth of oil with the used oil that was still in the filter(if you aren't going to change the filter the least you could do is drain it). I didn't hear him say another word about his expensive oil after that.

87 texas deluxe

re:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2002, 12:19:00 AM »
thanks guys:
I went ahead and changed the oil weight and wooala
what do you know the noise almost went away.
you can still hear it but not as loud. I wonder if it'll go back to normal.
I can't belive I took the word of the clerk at my local automotive store. I that they knew what they are doing.
I also changed the oil filter and I was indeed amazed on how much crap had collected at the old filter.
Thanks alot for saving me money and looking foward to hearing from yall at the next ezboard.

Offline 84 silverado

Re: re:
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2002, 08:13:00 AM »
hey guys, I know this sounds stupid but I saw this actually work. The import trucks and cars are known to have some pretty small oiling passages and have a habit of doing the ticky-tick when they get a few miles on them. One of the "older" tech's I work with said to use some GM posi-track additive in the oil and watch it shut up. I laughed at it until I saw it work. I don't know what kind of lubricant modifier it is but it sure shut this noise down. I have used it several times since, every time being succesful. Another case of don't ask, don't tell........