Author Topic: Projector headlight conversion [LOOOOTS OF PICS!!!]  (Read 40160 times)

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
Re: Projector headlight conversion
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 08:49:08 PM »
During the day. Had quite a number of people staring. You can actuallu see the angry eyes.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 04:05:43 AM »
The reflection of all of my lights on the back of an ambulance.

I bought blue 1157 bulbs for my front marker lights from ebay.

Holding them to a light, they are actual blue glass and not tinted.

I decided to pull my bezels off and paint them black inside.

Then I polished the chrome.

Polished all of the chrome.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 04:23:10 AM »
I got 2 more KC lights for the middle spots on my rack.

How it projects on the wall.

I put orange bulbs inside of my headlight in the "city light"spot as my marker/turn signal for the front.

I ordered a set of chrome Headlight housings because the black ones werent cutting it. This time I got the reflector option instead of the "projector" disk.

EXPONENTIALLY brighter. Sadly my passenger side HID bulb is burning out. But, I should have a warrantied
      replacement coming soon.

Close up with the new housings.

My buddy Clint gave me his set of yellow HIDs that he took out of his fog lights on his super crew he traded in. So I modified my old fog light housing to fit the bulbs he gave me.

Headlights and fogs

Just fogs

Just headlights

Thats my moms avalanche in the background. And I know the fogs look kind of green, But they are yellow. I need to get more pictures of the headlights and how well they project light. I am going to retrofit TRUE projector housings into my old black headlights.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
mmm doritos...

you should nickname your truck skittles.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 11:55:58 PM »
Haha. As of.right now, I have purple, green, yellow, blue, orange, red, and white on my truck. Im going to get green bulbs for my fog lights, because that was my plan from the begining. And then im going to put blue hids on the inside KCs. and yellow ones on the outside KCs. Or vice versa. Just because I can.

Offline Edahall

• Frequent Member
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »
Looks cool but my main concern would be getting picked up by law enforcement.  This is the main reason I have not converted mine to HID's.  I've heard the fines are pretty stiff  if you're caught.
1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
-Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
-6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
-Gear Vendors Overdrive
-Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears
-2" Lift

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
Ive been pulled over 4 times since I put them on and it was slfor stupid reason like my shaky power steeting making cops think I was under the influence or accusing.me of running a red light through an intersection I havent driven through that day. And they never said anything about my headlights. Theyve mentioned my kc lights and I need to make sure they stay off in the city. And my buddy works at QuikTrip gas station and he talks to cops all the time and they say that headlights are the least of their concerns unless they are blindingly bright. And it is also legal to have red lights or blue lights on the front of your vehicle, you just cannot have both.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »
And my buddy works at QuikTrip gas station and he talks to cops all the time and they say that headlights are the least of their concerns unless they are blindingly bright. And it is also legal to have red lights or blue lights on the front of your vehicle, you just cannot have both.

Just because a particular cop says it is the least of their concern, DOESNT mean another cop wont stop you. Speaking from EXPERIENCE, it gives cops a lawful reason to stop you, especially at night. Who is out at night? Drunks and criminals. It is a great way to start a deep investigation.

"A. Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color."

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00931.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

"B. A person shall not drive or move a vehicle or equipment on a highway with a lamp or device on the vehicle that is capable of displaying a red or red and blue light or lens visible from directly in front of the center of the vehicle. Lights visible from the front of a vehicle shall be amber or white." So no, it isnt legal. Just because it doesnt specify "blue only" lights in the first sentence, it says what color the lights HAVE to be.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00947.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »
I need to upload more pictures since I have hid fog lights now too and I took some more pictures of them. But, I am not breaking any laws. I have no red lights on the front of my truck. The blue marker bulbs are now only my parking lights. And inside of my headlights I have amber color bulbs for my turn signals, and I just need to set them up as my running lights as well. But, he asks numerous cops and it seems that its most precinct's way of doing things in   Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler. But Gilbert cops are striiiiict with everything else.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:01 AM »
Okay. I took a few more pictures to show My lights in different "settings" I guess you could say.

Just headlights side.

Just fog lights on a wall.

Fog lights front.

Fog lights side.

Fog lights and Low Beams on a wall.

Fog ligts and Low beams front.

Fog lights and Low Beams side

Fog lights and High Beams on a wall.

Fog lights and High Beams front.

Fog lights and High Beams side.

Fog Lights and Headllights on ground.

Fog lights, Low Beams, and KC's on a wall.

Fog lights, High Beams, and KC's on a wall.

Fog Lights, Headlights, and KC's side.

Couple of random pics

"Cartoon" mode on my camera.

I also took a couple of vidoes. 1 parked and 2 while driving. Just to give a little more of an idea. I'm not sure why you cant see the lights very well in the video, but I promise you they are bright. Ever since I got the chrome housings and the fog lights I have had like 10 people flash their brights at me. And I return the flashing of brights right back to them. Since then I have angled my headlights down just a tad bit more. Just to not blind oncoming traffic.
Parked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWWaA7n8omc
Driving part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZdKUX0fg8
Driving part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yob1X4OaIWI

That's all for now. I may modify them further in the future. I'm planning on trying to put HIDs into my kc lights. All of these pics are just to show people what HIDs are like on our trucks. I personally like them a lot. I get a lot of people asking about them. My future plans are.....

Number 1 priority!!!!
    Get burning out headlight bulb replaced.
No specific order.
    Modify my old black housings and retrofit them with TRUE projectors.
    Get actual green bulbs for my Fog lights.
    Put yellow in 1 pair of KC lights, and put blue in the other(insides and outsides).
    Put my old fog lights under my rear bumper as "reversing lights"(they're 100w)
    Wire up said "reversing lights" to a second switch so I can use them when I'm not in reverse.

When/if I retrofit my old housing, I will do a VERY thorough tutorial and video. Its a very complex process of aiming and you have to build aiming jigs and have to be very precise through the whole process or you will ruin it all. Thanks for reading. I hope you all like the lights. Sorry for posting so much!

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 06:44:01 AM »
And my buddy works at QuikTrip gas station and he talks to cops all the time and they say that headlights are the least of their concerns unless they are blindingly bright. And it is also legal to have red lights or blue lights on the front of your vehicle, you just cannot have both.

Just because a particular cop says it is the least of their concern, DOESNT mean another cop wont stop you. Speaking from EXPERIENCE, it gives cops a lawful reason to stop you, especially at night. Who is out at night? Drunks and criminals. It is a great way to start a deep investigation.

"A. Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color."

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00931.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

"B. A person shall not drive or move a vehicle or equipment on a highway with a lamp or device on the vehicle that is capable of displaying a red or red and blue light or lens visible from directly in front of the center of the vehicle. Lights visible from the front of a vehicle shall be amber or white." So no, it isnt legal. Just because it doesnt specify "blue only" lights in the first sentence, it says what color the lights HAVE to be.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00947.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Here's the picture of the flashers showing.

I am soon going to wire them as my running lights, so I will be completely legal.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: Projector headlight conversion [LOOOOTS OF PICS!!!]
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 09:34:37 PM »
What part of illegal dont you understand? Where does it say you can have blue lights? Im not arguing the fact that it is illegal, im arguing the fact that you keep saying the are legal. I could care less that you do or dont get a ticket, because eventually, you will.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2011, 11:49:19 PM »
I'm not concerned about the legality of the lights or what you do with your truck either, but I will tell you that if it happens, you wouldn't be the first motorist ever pulled from his vehicle and punched about the the face for blinding somebody with their goofy colored lights.

Did you ever get your lights hooked up to relays?
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline big bear

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 12:37:44 AM »
lol  so very true

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 01:28:42 AM »
"B. A person shall not drive or move a vehicle or equipment on a highway with a lamp or device on the vehicle that is capable of displaying a red or redandblue light or lens visible from directly in front of the center of the vehicle. Lights visible from the front of a vehicle shall be amber or white."

I personally believe that since it does not SPECIFICALLY rule out any other color besides amber or white, that im off the hook. And it also says "shall" it does not say it is required! and I understand its all semantics, but those small gaps of information are enough to get me out of a ticket. And you are probably going to have something to argue about back to what I have said, so let me tell you, I am 17 and dont care if I get in trouble because I feel like I know everything and can get out of that trouble. So you're beating a dead horse. I have this argument with a couple of friend all the time and it hasnt changed my views yet.

I'm not concerned about the legality of the lights or what you do with your truck either, but I will tell you that if it happens, you wouldn't be the first motorist ever pulled from his vehicle and punched about the the face for blinding somebody with their goofy colored lights.

Did you ever get your lights hooked up to relays?

i must admit that made me crack up pretty hard. But, like I said before I have even aimed my headlights down in order to not blind people. And I have had people tell me.that my nm lightsbare WAAAAY too bright and i tell them I accidentaly had my high beams on. And everyone is okay with it after. I know what it is like to have normal headlights, hids, or sylvanias shining directly in my face.
*Removed Racist Comment - Don't be surprised if you get banned for this since you've been warned previously.*

For your question, my HID'S came with a relay kit, and I put a relay on my fog lights. My KC lights are hard wired to a switch with a fuse and 10 gauge stranded wire.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:50:40 AM by VileZambonie »