Author Topic: Projector headlight conversion [LOOOOTS OF PICS!!!]  (Read 40158 times)

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
Re: Projector headlight conversion [LOOOOTS OF PICS!!!]
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2011, 02:24:32 AM »
Okay, about 3 weeks has passed and ive still had zero cops say anything about my headlights. I did have one cop ask if i had amber colored front turn aignals and i showed him that i did, but he didnt have any problem with the purple.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2011, 12:12:03 PM »
I once thought I knew everything too and then I grew up. I am not saying you will get a ticket for your lights but that will give them reason to pull you over and when you get smart with them or make them mad when you prove them wrong, they will give you a ticket for something else that they find. I know this from experience. When I was 19 I made a trooper mad when I proved to him I could have a roll pan on my truck, so he looked my truck over and give me a ticket for two more violations. Then he would pull me over when he saw me for the next six months. So man listen to these guys they are trying to give you some friendly advice to keep you out of trouble. Just be respectful of the cops and don't do anything stupid and you should be OK. By the way if you come to Tennessee I know they will give you a ticket for those lights. I know a couple of guys who they have got.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:16:15 PM by 69byrd »
84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline ehjorten

Re: Projector headlight conversion
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 01:52:51 PM »
"B. A person shall not drive or move a vehicle or equipment on a highway with a lamp or device on the vehicle that is capable of displaying a red or redandblue light or lens visible from directly in front of the center of the vehicle. Lights visible from the front of a vehicle shall be amber or white."

I personally believe that since it does not SPECIFICALLY rule out any other color besides amber or white, that im off the hook. And it also says "shall" it does not say it is required! and I understand its all semantics, but those small gaps of information are enough to get me out of a ticket. And you are probably going to have something to argue about back to what I have said, so let me tell you, I am 17 and dont care if I get in trouble because I feel like I know everything and can get out of that trouble. So you're beating a dead horse. I have this argument with a couple of friend all the time and it hasnt changed my views yet.

The legal definition of 'shall' has the following meanings:

■An imperative command; has a duty to or is required to. For example, the notice shall be sent within 30 days. Usually ‘shall’ used here is in the mandatory sense.
■Should . Courts often interpret shall as should. For example, all claimants shall request mediation.
■May. When a negative word such as not or no precedes shall the word shall often means may. For example, no person shall enter the building without first signing the roster.
■Will . For example, the defendant shall then have a period of 30 days to object.
The following are some case law interpreting the word shall:

When used in statutes, contracts, or the like, the word "shall" is generally imperative or mandatory.[Independent School Dist. v. Independent School Dist., 170 N.W.2d 433, 440 (Minn. 1969)]

"In common, or ordinary parlance, and in its ordinary signification, the term 'shall' is a word of command, and one which has always, or which must be given a compulsory meaning; as denoting obligation. It has a peremptory meaning, and it is generally imperative or mandatory. It has the invariable significance of excluding the idea of discretion, and has the significance of operating to impose a duty which may be enforced, particularly if public policy is in favor of this meaning, or when addressed to public officials, or where a public interest is involved, or where the public or persons have rights which ought to be exercised or enforced, unless a contrary intent appears; but the context ought to be very strongly persuasive before it is softened into a mere permission," etc.[People v. O'Rourke, 124 Cal. App. 752, 759 (Cal. App. 1932)]

So no...you can't argue with a court of law that shall doesn't mean required.  Arguement over! :D

The problem is in enforcement.  Not all police officers know or care to go after someone that has illegal lights on their vehicle.  Will you get a ticket?...probably not.  Can you get a ticket...YES

I just put mudflaps on my V3500 after driving it all over for about 1/2 a year without.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline bowtieman82

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 11:55:30 PM »
i had a friend put blue light on his 76 ford pick up, right be hind the word ford on his grill. one night we all were park at a store and he turn on his lights to show every body, and a cop just happen to drive buy and see the lights. he had the one there for a about month all ready. the cop gave him two options remove them now or have his truck towed. my friend told him they were for show only. the cop told him your not at a car show now. and took his keys and his truck.  The cops can and will get you when they want to. and do what they want to. the are the your boss and they can Heck with you every night your out and your friends your with cause they can and they do.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »
So, just a quick update. One night after me and my buddy went shooting, on the way out of sycamore creek a cop was pulled over in the little cul de sac area at the entrance. There was a car that had broken down and was sitting for a while. So the cop was gonna have it towed, and my buddy wanted to ask him a question about his driving/fog lights on his jeep and something about firearms. And the cop was pretty cool and seemed like he knew quite a bit so I asked him about purple hids. He said, the main thing most PDs are concerned about are dark blue ones,  ecause it could be considered impersonating a police officer, and if theblights blind oncoming traffic. He said if I drive by him and my lights are blinding, then hes gonna pull me over, but most PDs arent worried about color.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 02:33:00 AM »
what about the highway patrol?

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2011, 05:10:18 AM »
Sorry, Beastie, I didnt notice your post. I can only assume Highway patrol is the same way as the Local PD's. When I was pulled over by a highway patrolman who was in front of me, I changed lanes with no signal, he got behind me and pulled me over for no signal and gave me a warning, he didn't say a word about my Headlights. Even after driving in front of me. So I guess if one day I get a mean cop I can play dumb and say I just ordered a kit from eBay and this is what I got. And if I get a ticket then I'll deal with it from there.