73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

1987 R20 Dual Tank wiring

(1/4) > >>

zieg85:
I am just starting to get into this 87 R20 I recently got and have a question about the dual tank switch wiring.  Whomever before me removed the switch.  It is 4 wires and I need to know if by jumping 2 of them will the gas gauge start working or is the gauge wires somewhere else.  This is my first dual tank TBI truck and haven't a clue how this is wired to switch the tanks.  Thanks in advance

bd:
The tank selector switch reverses polarity to the selector valve motor; nothing more.  The dash gauge switches between tanks by the selector valve.  Three pink wires connect to the selector valve: pink/black (right tank sender), pink/white (left tank sender) and solid pink (gauge).  Splicing pink to either pnk/blk or pnk/wht will hardwire the gauge directly to the respective tank sender.

zieg85:
Thanks Rich, I knew you'd come through.  Now I have to figure out which tank is running.  Time to call my cousin to come over to turn the key while I lay under the truck with my hands on each tank.

bd:
Oops!  The above diagram is for pre-TBI tank wiring.  The selector switch also powers the respective in-tank pumps on TBI equipped vehicles.  Connections are nearly the same with the exception that the dark green and light green (tan and gray on TBI equipped vehicles) selector valve motor wiring extends to the pumps too....

zieg85:

--- Quote from: bd on March 09, 2020, 11:00:42 AM ---Oops!  The above diagram is for pre-TBI tank wiring.  The selector switch also powers the respective in-tank pumps on TBI equipped vehicles.  Connections are nearly the same with the exception that the dark green and light green (tan and gray on TBI equipped vehicles) selector valve motor wiring extends to the pumps too....

--- End quote ---
Thanks, I am lost when it comes to wiring.  Not having a switch and the truck is running on whatever tank is normal? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version