73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

Edelbrock 1406

(1/3) > >>

JohnnyPopper:
For a '78 K10 350 CID

Any thoughts on this? I see some pretty good reviews, more pro's than con's.

Need to do something about gas mileage... ::)

Mr Diesel:
I've been running one on a 305 in a Camaro for about 13 years now. It is decent, was pretty easy to tune, stays tuned, reliable. The biggest complaint I have about it is the heat soak and hot restart. Shut it down hot and dont restart within 5 minutes and it floods. Have to hold pedal to the floor to restart. Annoying, but I explored all other alternative fuel systems and pretty much decided they ALL have their cons.

Got another in a 1983 K30 on a 454. Never had the hot restart problem on it, probably due to the much more spacious engine bay to allow heat escape.

I dont think I would ditch a stock fuel system for the 1406 though. In my case the 305 and 454 lost their quadrajets long before I owned them. All fuel injection systems have their down sides too, but if they were still intact I think I would keep them working. Change isnt always better.

JohnnyPopper:
Understood, thanks!

I've been a Qjet fan for decades, in rebuilding them I've never thought I got it perfect but close.

The rebuild shops around here don't want to touch them, and recommend the 1406.

Maybe I could find a shop somewhere else in the country that has the task down pat.

Mike81K10:
I have one! It flooded so bad that fuel flowed all over. I went back to my Rochester and had no problems.

VileZambonie:
Hot restart is definitely a known issue but can be resolved with correct fuel pressure and a heat insulator base.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version