Author Topic: Power Window Relay Kit issues  (Read 1097 times)

Offline juancano

Power Window Relay Kit issues
« on: October 24, 2021, 12:12:02 PM »
Decided to add the relay kit from   windows to my 1986 C10 2WD, 2 door.

Issue I am having is the driver side control is malfunctioning. Passenger side window goes up and down much faster if controlled by the passenger door control.

On the driver side, currently, one button makes the driver window go up, another one makes it go down.  :-\. And it doesn't control the passenger window, although I can hear the relays clicking away.

What I have done so far:
• triple-checked that I did the wiring correctly when adding the relays per the   instructions and the video.
• I have the wiring diagram for this truck, and the colored wires going into both doors are in the correct order/color.
• I even started playing wire roulette in the driver switch and changing spots for the wires, but no luck.
• The driver side window switch seems to be brand new.

And the window used to work, although granted, once in a while it would not go up.

Thoughts?

Offline juancano

Re: Power Window Relay Kit issues
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:31:30 PM »
User error, kind off. Figured it out.

When I was reconnecting the power window connector to the switch, it came apart. I have the wiring diagram for this car so I followed it and redid it. That was the problem. I double-triple checked it, and still had an issue. My feeling was that some of the wires were not connected correctly.

Turns out I was misinterpreting the wiring diagram or taking too literal. The window connectors have slots for A, B, C, etc. I was reading across and reading

A ----- PINK.
B------ BLK
etc.

But then after a while, I realized it is not to be read horizontally (for some reason that I can't understand). So I realized this, followed the numbers on the cables, then redid the connector wiring and that fixed it. That was like 2 hours wasted.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 05:00:01 PM »
Unfortunately, you did not upgrade anything here. That "kit" just adds more voltage drops to an already existing old circuit especially when you use butt connectors to bridge connections. Did you read the power window tech post?

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=36005.0
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline juancano

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 05:35:52 PM »
Unfortunately, you did not upgrade anything here. That "kit" just adds more voltage drops to an already existing old circuit especially when you use butt connectors to bridge connections. Did you read the power window tech post?

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=36005.0

Well, my windows go up and down twice as fast now. And in the process I noticed one of these butt connectors was bad connection. Since I already put it all in, I am not taking it out. I probably should redo the butt connectors and solder them?

I read many many posts but was not clear that this was not a good idea. A friend told me (after I installed this), that I should've just gotten new window motors.

Thanks!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 06:19:04 PM »
Twice as fast would mean you had something else going on. A simple test would be to apply battery voltage directly to the motor and see if the performance improves. Absolutely fix butt connectors, use splice clips, solder and heat shrink. Butt connectors are time bombs.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10