73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Brakes, Frame, Steering & Suspension

Better cornering

(1/1)

PHOENIX:
My truck (83 1/2 ton 2WD) seems to "sway" alot when turning. Does anyone have any ideas on how to "stiffin" up the suspension? Im also thinking about lowering the truck a few inches front and back, would this help cornering at all?

Also has anyone tried out the new edlebrock shocks?

79 Big10:
I had the same problem with my '86 K-5 Blazer, so I put in some urethane sway bar bushings from Energy Suspension- the best $60 I ever spent on that truck. There was a night and day difference in the handling, and this was on a truck with 6" of lift!  

stan:
The posta bove about end-links and bushings is entierly the best step (assuming you already have sway-bars in there) -- y'may wanna go poke through a local junk year for bars from a 3/4T or a Burban or whatever to get a bit more on the bar before springing for the bushings.

If that isn't enough - dropping the CoG will help, but consider spring-dropping the front enough to flatten-out the centerlink-to-tierod angle (typically 1"-2" on a 1/2T) that'll correct some of the push you feel in a roll and keep you from having to add steering input as you wallow through the turns.

Similarly, in the rear of the vehicle, look to flattening-out the leaf spring (as you roll the "low" side wheel will move aft causing the axle to steer "outside" of the turn, adding to that need for additional steering input to hold your turn).

I'm very aware that shackle/spindles are good ways to get the height down AND that getting the CoG down will help to reduce the rollling moment and all of that, but an effort toward more effective handling is a BIG bonus and should not be overlooked; the cumulative effect will be a virtually roll-less corner that you can get into and out of without that nasty steeringwheel pumping !

g-luck!

lo_burb@email.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version