73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Brakes, Frame, Steering & Suspension

what will i have to do to put 44's on a 73 3/4 ton

(1/3) > >>

weakmaxx:
I know already that i will only be adding a 8" susp system and a bit (lot) of fender cuting.  I may only be able to mount 40s, but that is ok too.

what will i need so the truck will drive and stay in one peice?

I know some of the parts i will get are:
dana 60 front (dana 44 is stock) (14 bolt is already stock rear)
8" superlift lift system (the one for 741$ with shocks)
the truck (duh!!!)
cross over steering
gear ratio (4.88 or above depending on what tires i mount)

here is what i don't know about
brakes
drivetrain (the drive shafts will most likely be to short with any lift of 6"+)
and anything else i am missing

please fill me in, so i can but this stuff in order, to start building  (take your time, i am trying to get the truck first)

here is the reason for 1973 3/4 ton if anyone want to bug me about that:
1973 is the latest year that is smog exempt (cali)
comes with a good rear axle
1 tons are hard to find with a good engine, trans., 4x4, not a dully
i have more reasons, but i can't remember them off the top of my head

73K20:
You will definately need new brake lines with a 6" lift.  The brakes on a 14bFF and D60 should be sufficent.  For the rear suspension i would probably go with a 4" lift and a shackle flip to get the 8" of lift.  Absoultly, positively need a bolt in frame brace for the steering box and probably a weld in brace too.  Thats all that comes to mind right now. 1973 K20 - 350/350/205

weakmaxx:
actuallt i found some schackles i wanna give a shot, forgot what they are called, but they are the ones that give you more articulation.  I still think that i will need to get 8" all around, but don't know for sure yet.  have you done this on your k20?  did you have to get longer driveshafts, i heard you have to, but i have no idea where to get them, or what to use or anything.

bluebike2000:
I just built a 1 ton crew cab , non-dually . 44" boggers 12" lift plus 3" suspension, I have cut-out fender flares also. The first lift I bought was the one you are about to buy. If you can settle for 40's or 39.5's , go for it. I did not realize the actual size of 44" boggers, they are huge tires. So I removed the 8" lift , and purchased the 12". still not big enough, my tires rubbed on every turn with any sort of bump, like the driveway, I had to add a 3" body lift, which I did not want to
do , now it doesnt rub at all. I would suggest going with a 40" or smaller tire and no body lift, the brakes on my 1 ton are huge and in a panic , it gets a little hairy trying to stop that thing, I would try to find the axle with 1ton brakes ,and dont skimp on the wheels , I went with weld super singles, They were the heaviest rating in an aluminum I could find, a few more bucks, whats the difference at this point anyway, right?
My exhaust crossover pipe was in the way of the front drive shaft. the rear I have a 2piece, I just built a lowering block for the center bearing. As far as gears go, I am going to install an underdrive, that way I still have real tall freeway gears when I finish, then I will be lengthening the front and shortening the rear driveline. other than that I hope you can jump up in there, I know I have trouble. good luck to you

weakmaxx:
muahaha.  12" he he he.  i guess that is what i am goin for.

there is still NO way i am doing any body lift.  I hear to many people have trouble with the spacer (or what ever it is that lifts it) poping over bumps, that is not a good thing.  did you ever encounter that, i have not actually met someone with this problem, but i have heard of it several times.

Well... MAYBE i will CONSIDER it if i get some positive feedback.

How did you actually perform the lift?   How did you rais the truck enough, i know that on the 3" lifts you can just use some strong struts, but i am guessing you will need to put the entire truck on a lift.

Is there any other way of geting the extra 3"s?

think steel rims would be a bad idea?

i need to write a list of the items i will need, you think you could give me a hand (this goes for everyone)

here is what i know i will need

truck
dana 60 front
new wires and brake lines
12" superlift
wheels and tires
i will need to find a place where i can purchase driveshafts
reinforcing the steering (don't know how)
cross over steering

what am i missing now?  I need to make a price list.  This will most likely take a year or so, but i think i should get all my info filled out first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version