Author Topic: 87 V10 TBI - No check engine light & inconsistent idle  (Read 3796 times)

Offline buzzman351

Re: 87 V10 TBI - No check engine light & inconsistent idle UPDATED
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2022, 05:29:36 AM »
well with the help of a very knowledgeable resource I have been able to make a lot of headway. I found the ECM grounds and cleaned them extremely well, installed new terminals, crimped and soldered them and reinstalled. moved on to setting timing and base idle. truck still wanted to surge a bit. pulled TBI and inspected throttle shaft movement, and idle plates. all looked good. I was advised to cover or plug the IAC valve fresh air intake above the valve itself while setting base idle, which is to be 600 RPM in drive. I did this and buttoned everything up. truck is running much better now. i have found that I get a code 32 EGR and code 43 knock sensor from time to time. I plan on troubleshooting this as soon as my work schedule frees up a bit. I have a slight inclination that the EGR solenoid from amazon may be the culprit but we will see. I have the drivability manual on hand to refer to. I may be wrong but I believe the code 32 is causing the code 43. time will tell. Very good resources on this forum. As far as my service engine light I was advised which output from the ECM to probe with I+. it works at the ECM. I asked my resource to send me a link to the socket and bulb needed to fix this at the cluster. after looking at it I have no choice but to admit my mistake. The plug I thought i was feeling on the back of the cluster was the complete socket. I am a novice at this and I imagined there were supposed to be power wires coming from the plug. needless to say I removed the socket, installed a bulb and and all good. working SES. Learning has occured. Will update as i go further into the EGR issue.