Author Topic: No CRANK after rain......  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

No CRANK after rain......
« on: December 11, 2022, 04:03:27 PM »
No CRANK after rain.

Battery good. Lights good etc.

Any ideas?

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: No CRANK after rain......
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 10:05:28 PM »
You can have lights working and still not have enough battery to start. Try jump starting it. You should hear the starter solenoid click. If nothing, probably the starter! If the battery is bad, make sure you check your alternator to ensure it is keeping the battery charged.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 04:45:25 AM »
If it's only when it rains, I would suspect a poor connection or high resistance in the circuit.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 08:51:49 AM »
I agree.  Look for loose, corroded, or burned connections, especially any that could be susceptible to moisture intrusion.  Check the cowl and windshield frame for leaks.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 02:31:33 PM »
Do you hear the solenoid engage or at least click?
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 07:38:27 PM »
Do you hear the solenoid engage or at least click?

Initially no, then yes.

i got it starting again.

i'll update ASAP.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 12:00:07 PM »
UPDATE:

We are back to intermittent no-crank:

i thought i had fixed the problem as i put in a new battery(thinking that was the problem) and it cranked and started right up.

This lasted about a week and then the same thing---no crank.  This happened last monday.  i didn't do anything and then yesterday i was able to crank it and start it.   Also, it rained thursday night and friday morning.   Also it rained all the previous week and it cranked o problem, so i don't think rain has anything to do with it at this point.   Just a coincidence for the first two times it happened?

i don't think rain has anything to do with it.

i don't think the battery or starter is the problem.

i've enclosed the diagnostic chart from the service manual for reference:

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 01:42:09 PM »
Run a check on your battery to see what the condition is. If your alternator is bad it may not be charging as it should. Then you might consider that there is a draw someplace from your battery while it sits. Check out the wiring to ensure there is no corrosion or bad spots. There is a chance the starter might be going bad as well, the charging system and battery should be looked at first.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 01:46:37 PM »
Sounds like a worn out starter. Electrical connections worn out inside or just poorly manufactured.
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 07:36:18 PM »
Run a check on your battery to see what the condition is.

Mikey he said it's a new battery... ::)

But you may be right about there being a draw that lowers CCA.

Pretty simple that the solenoid wire is responsible to fire the starter. I would start there, make sure the ground strap is good.

And finally, have you tried to start it in N? Could be something as simple as that.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Scott91370

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 02:49:31 PM »
Run a check on your battery to see what the condition is.

Yes, but new does not equal good.

I'd bet on a bad starter.  Mine wouldn't make any noise some times then other it would kick the solenoid then others it would start to crank then stop.  Every time it would get hotter than he**.

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 12:53:44 PM »
Side post battery? Still have the rubber boots? Check to make sure the terminals are coming in good contact with the side post connections on the battery. Lately I’ve seen a lot of instances on various side posts where the boots have a sealing ring that is supposed to fit inside a ring on the battery, but they’re actually hitting the outer ring. Result: cable lug only partially comes in contact with lead, even though the bolt is tight; intermittent no-start, sometimes the terminal makes enough contact, sometimes it doesnt. Easy test is to pull the boots, reconnect and see if it acts up. If it works fine, either lose the boots (exposes your battery terminals entirely, not ideal), replace the boots with new soft ones that will more easily fit the battery, or modify the boots/battery to fit your existing components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 10:40:09 PM »
Side post battery? Still have the rubber boots? Check to make sure the terminals are coming in good contact with the side post connections on the battery. Lately I’ve seen a lot of instances on various side posts where the boots have a sealing ring that is supposed to fit inside a ring on the battery, but they’re actually hitting the outer ring. Result: cable lug only partially comes in contact with lead, even though the bolt is tight; intermittent no-start, sometimes the terminal makes enough contact, sometimes it doesnt. Easy test is to pull the boots, reconnect and see if it acts up. If it works fine, either lose the boots (exposes your battery terminals entirely, not ideal), replace the boots with new soft ones that will more easily fit the battery, or modify the boots/battery to fit your existing components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Sorry i haven't updated this.  It did turn out to be one of the cables.  Rain didn't have anything to do with it----just was a coincidence.

i'll provide more detail when there is time.
Sorry i haven't followed up with this.

Offline Scott91370

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 09:55:01 AM »
Glad you were able to finally figure it out.  Coincedence issues like this make it tough to track down!