Author Topic: Frame questions  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Chanman09

Frame questions
« on: February 14, 2023, 09:31:01 AM »
I’m at a point on my ‘86 c20 that I can do a lot or just enough.

I don’t want a show car.

I want a cool truck that I can drive to the hardware store and throw some pipe or wood in the back. But something, obviously classic and not my newer truck.

I have been under the thing scraping and brushing surface rust and dirt from the frame. I’ve slapped on rust killer/converter and sprayed some black rustoleum everywhere I could.

I’m about to install at least 1 new gas tank (on the driver side) and was thinking about tilting the bed back to do the job.

I’m thinking with just a little more work, I can take the whole bed off and REALLY get after the rust and dirt on the frame. 

I won’t take the cab off. And I don’t want this to become a frame up type rebuild. I don’t have the funds for this and just want to drive the thing. Not park it and look at it.

I guess I have a few questions.

1. If I take the bed off and do a proper job on the frame back there, is it pointless if I’m just going to half way do the rest of the frame?

2. What is the most idiot proof rust frame paint? Por 15? Eastwood? Chassis coating?

3. Will taking the bed off result in me finding more projects to get after and turn a quick fixer into a time and money suck?  Should I just shoot some spray paint up under there and hang the gas tank and call it good?

I know, I know, it all depends on my budget and what I really want out of the truck. I guess I may be going down a rabbit hole I may not need to.

Thanks for the advice and andwers!

Offline Scott91370

Re: Frame questions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 03:35:58 PM »
1 - I would say it is pointless since you'd ony be protecting half of the vehicle.  But you may do it then in a couple of years decide to do the front in which it wouldn't be a waste.

2 - I used POR15.  I cleaned it quite well and used a rust neutralizer then put two coats on.   After 3 years it's still stuck pretty good.

3 - Really once it's apart, if you don't break anything, you'll be able to just paint it all then put it back together.  There isnt' much under there to suck up your $$.

Remeber to post up pics!!

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 10:31:58 AM »
You can find stuff to do under the bed, but it's mostly just cleaning and maybe freshening-up some of the fuel lines.  As Scott said, you may decide to lift the cab at a later date, so do it while you're there!
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 07:51:42 PM »
I agree with the comments.

If you have rust issues that can only be resolved by removing the bed, then by all means.

If you do not, what value is there to cleaning up what you will never see?

Any soft parts maintenance will be a lot easier though.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Chanman09

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 08:47:51 PM »
The more I think on it, the more I feel myself wanting to take the bed off.

The main motivator being is that I don’t have patience for little things that should be quite easy but are hard because I don’t fit in places.

Thinking about putting those hoses back on the hard line has me mad and I haven’t even tried to do it yet!  Lol. I think pulling the bed and cleaning it up while it’s off may be cathartic for me. Plus, I can get the gas tank in place and hook everything up without the twisting and squeezing and cussing.

At least that’s what my brain says at the moment. It may change tomorrow!

I got the tank and sending unit and new straps ordered. I have some stuff that will work for squeak stop. And I’ll get a fuel pump from the local fellas here in town.

Who knows. I may be cruising up and down the road in a week or so!

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 02:41:38 PM »
You go brother... 8)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 07:12:26 PM »
Honi soit qui mal y pense
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 07:48:18 PM »
The bed is not that difficult to remove. Then you may also want to think about your cab bushings. My truck started with the fuel system and tanks and ended up a complete restore/rebuild.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Chanman09

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 08:42:43 AM »
Honi soit qui mal y pense

I had to google your quote above, as I’m not fluent in old Norman French. Lol

That’s right!  Shame on them!

Offline Chanman09

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 08:43:16 AM »

Offline Chanman09

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 08:46:55 AM »
The bed is not that difficult to remove. Then you may also want to think about your cab bushings. My truck started with the fuel system and tanks and ended up a complete restore/rebuild.

This is what I’m dreading (but deep inside longing for!). I was just gonna get her running and drive it.

The more little things I start doing, the more I find reasons to do a little more.

‘It’s keeping me out of trouble,’ as my grandma would say. Unless you count the ‘trouble’ I catch from the missus when packages end up on the front porch. Lol

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 04:48:08 PM »
Just remind the little lady that when you're pushing 40 you 'need things'... ;)

Can't believe mine is 45 this year... :o

Offline Punisher69

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 12:21:32 PM »

This is what I’m dreading (but deep inside longing for!). I was just gonna get her running and drive it.

The more little things I start doing, the more I find reasons to do a little more.

‘It’s keeping me out of trouble,’ as my grandma would say. Unless you count the ‘trouble’ I catch from the missus when packages end up on the front porch. Lol
This is why the truck we just got is at my son's house. The wife can't see the stuff getting delivered hahahaa
I don't deserve a signature yet.