General Site Info > General Discussion

Changing your mind mid build?

(1/3) > >>

berserk:
I'm curious how others who spend a lot of time, money and work on there build deal with this?

I have spent a year working on my truck and a lot of money and now that it is together I realize I want to change the set up some. No problem right, well I would have to re buy several expensive parts(2-3000$ possibly). Then hope I can sell my new parts I don't have but 100 miles on and likely take a $ loss.

If this something you guys have experienced I would like to hear what route you ended up taking. Did you just keep the setup you don't love, or did you change it up and resell/hoard the parts for later?

VileZambonie:
Can you tell us specifically what you did and are looking to change? And YES my 74 I went custom build on it, roll pan, shaved tailgate, caddy taillights, slammed to the ground and if there was an undo button in life, I pressed it on that truck. Is it a ton more time and money, yes but I love the truck and it's worth it to me.

JohnnyPopper:
VZ-Before and after pics please?

berserk:

--- Quote from: VileZambonie on May 21, 2023, 09:39:23 AM ---Can you tell us specifically what you did and are looking to change? And YES my 74 I went custom build on it, roll pan, shaved tailgate, caddy taillights, slammed to the ground and if there was an undo button in life, I pressed it on that truck. Is it a ton more time and money, yes but I love the truck and it's worth it to me.

--- End quote ---

I REALLY wanted a single cab dually K30, when I began this process. But I found in the Oklahoma area they are very rare. A lot in Texas but I didn't have a tow rig or trailer plus the truck purchase would have bit into my budget.

I have a K10 I put together 5+ years ago and been in the family since 93 and it has a solid engine and trans. So I decided to Dually swap it In the rear a D60 the front.

But I could NOT find a Dana 70 for the rear and happened upon a very good deal on a single wheel 14 bolt.  So I decided to run that in the rear and D60 the front. The truck is great but I can not stop thinking about the dually set up I originally wanted.

I actually found a parts truck 40 miles away with a Dana 70 and it's everything I can do not to buy it for the rear and spend another 1500 + on the diff and full rebuild. Rebuild the dually front hubs and buy steelies and new tires.

If I do that not only is there the extra cost but brand new 33" tires, new USA steel wheels and new Dana 60 single wheel hubs just laying around or being sold for a loss more than likely .
Either way I'm very pleased with the truck,  but I feel like this is why we always have yards full of trucks and five or six projects at once. And I JUST got ride of two Old work trucks I had to cut down on the hoard just sitting in the yard. 🙄

Mike81K10:
Personally I am rebuilding my truck because I like it and I have owned my 81 K10 since 1986. I originally bought it to pull a boat and hunt in Colorado. It has been all over the U.S.A. with me and my daughter went 4 wheeling up a mountain with me as a baby in Colorado. Just many memories! Some times you spend money you know you will not get back if you like your truck enough.

Then again a new truck cost between 50K and 70K. So the money I have spent is putting my truck in good condition and it will probably last longer than a new one would and it will be more dependable because new vehicles break down more often and are much harder to work on.

Guess, the bottom line is, they money is a sunken cost you don't get back and if you have spare parts that you don't need, sell them for what you can get. Then enjoy your truck and fix it up the way you want it. My time is short and you cannot take it with you when you go. Perhaps a family member will enjoy it one day and remember you with a smile on their face.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version